Drill Press Table

Discuss topics related to woodworking projects
Gianvador

Drill Press Table

Post by Gianvador » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:06 pm

Hi Suso ,
just a few questions regarding the worktop of your drill press (cause i 'm going to make mine, inspired by your that can be seen in your videos):
- Which are the overall dimensions ?
- How much is the distance between the end of the worktop and the drilling center ?
- Do you think that 600x400mm could be ok , or would you suggest specific dimensions based on your experience?
- Any other suggestion?
Thanks,
Gianluca

Suso

Drill Press Table

Post by Suso » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:45 pm

Hello Gianluca,
It is made with Trespa 10mm thickness, and the overall dimensions are 660x440mm, but 600x400mm could be ok!
The hole is at the center and 180mm from the back.

More info on Blog

Gianvador

Drill Press Table

Post by Gianvador » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:29 am

Great, many thanks for both the infos and the photos!
Gianluca

KG

Drill Press Table

Post by KG » Fri May 13, 2016 2:05 pm

I was wondering what brand or where I can find the actual metal contraption used for the drill press itself?

Suso

Drill Press Table

Post by Suso » Fri May 13, 2016 2:40 pm

wrote:I was wondering what brand or where I can find the actual metal contraption used for the drill press itself?

Drill Press in America:
Buy on Usa

Drill Press in Europe:
Acquistare in Italia
Acheter en France
Buy on United Kingdom
Kaufen in Deutschland
Comprar en España

this is mine:
Stayer SG43:
Drill Press Stand on Blog:

HamiJim

Drill Press Table

Post by HamiJim » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:32 pm

Hi Suso and greetings from the UK!

Thanks for a great site.

I'm starting out making the drill press table then later plan to move onto the belt sander table then the portable workbench.
I'm new to this so forgive the basic questions!!!

I would like to cover the drill press, sander and workbench tables with formica laminate. If I do this do I need to cover the top and bottom of the table surfaces with the laminate to avoid warping? Or will the side supports to the table surface prevent any warping so I only need to laminate the top?

On the drill press table how deep is the 60mm recess surrounding the 22mm through hole through which the drill in the drill press passes as it descends through the table? This looks to be the recess in which the drum sanders spin and looks to be 2 to 3mm deep. Is this about right? How did you cut this recess? Did you use the router or some other way?

Under the top of the drill press table it looks like you have added some support (?green) material. Is this to fill the space between the bottom of the table surface and the top of the metal drill press stand? Can you tell me if this is a good idea to add to my drill press table also if I use 9mm plywood?

In the UK I've found this which looks the same as the stand in your videos!! You have made a wooden quick release knob to release the drill holder allowing it to slide up and down the column of the drill press to avoid using a spanner each time - it looks a great idea. How did you fit the thread for this knob? Was it using a threaded insert or did you use a pronged T nut? Finally, what are the dimensions of the quick release knob?

Once I've got something to show I'll upload some pics.

All the best.

Jim

Suso

Drill Press Table

Post by Suso » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:18 pm

welcome Jim!

1- stick the formica on one of the faces, you will not have problems. The wooden reinforcements of the bottom should be enough to avoid that problem in any of the three tools.

2- you´re right, that recess is for the drum sander and is 3mm deep. Was a bit complicated to do, first I made the outer contour with a hole saw bit, and then I I finished the inside with the plunge router base.

3- you're right again... whatever the material you use, it is a good idea that the lid of the drill press table is supported on the base of the drill stand.

4- I used an 8mm threaded insert. The handle has dimensions of 80x25x25mm, try to use a hard and dense wood.

I hope it helps!

BobFadi

Re: Drill Press Table

Post by BobFadi » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:53 am

Great, many thanks for both the info's and the photos! Nice info.
Bob Fadi