New Plywood Hand Planes

Discuss topics related to woodworking projects
Suso

New Plywood Hand Planes

Post by Suso » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:40 pm

I had been searching the market for new hand planes to my workshop. There are several brands and models but they're usually so expensive tools, so after a long research on the internet, I figured out how to recycle my old cutting discs from my circular saw and plywood scraps.

I started the design in Cad software, It should be easy to build and assembly, besides comfortable and stable. That's why I chose hard plywood glued by layers and an ergonomic handle built in the body itself. So well-cared for it will last a lifetime.

To make the blade I used an old blade saw from my circular saw. If you cut it carefully using water to keep it tempered, you'll get a sustainable and efficient edge. Keep in mind that even though this blade can work as well as a commercial one, it won't be as hard, so you will have to sharp it more often. The blade is 60mm wide.

I have in mind to make a few models of different sizes and for different jobs. 450mm, 350mm and 250mm.

Blog Article:

Hand Plane Reader Projects:

Llevaba bastante tiempo buscando una garlopa y unos cepillos nuevos para el taller. Existen varios modelos y marcas en el mercado pero son herramientas bastante caras, así que después de recopilar información por la red se me ocurrió la idea de fabricar unos caseros reciclando viejos discos de corte y restos de tablero contrachapado.

Artículo en Blog:

allpurpose

New Plywood Hand Planes

Post by allpurpose » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:58 am

Well, I could have saved the 40 dollars that I spent for my Stanley/Bailey #6 plane which by the way is an excellent plane and made one from plywood, but some things may just be better off left to the folks who have been making great planes for over a hundred years.
On the other hand it's always great to have some nice shop made things on hand.
I'll very likely make one someday, but because I have a large birch log just begging to be milled down into lumber I think I'll wait and make mine from solid spalted birch instead.
Great idea though and thank you for the video and other ideas.

Suso

New Plywood Hand Planes

Post by Suso » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:55 am

Spalted birch wood will probably look great. Be sure to post pictures when you've finished!

sepaulsen

Re: New Plywood Hand Planes

Post by sepaulsen » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:39 pm

If I wanted to make a longer jointer plane using the Big Hand Plane plans, could I just extend the end of the plans equal amounts to reach the length I was looking for?

My second question is, I can purchase a 60 mm wide plane iron. Can I use that instead of making my own blade?

Suso

Post by Suso » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:09 pm

hello,
yes, you can extend both ends the same distance.
yes, you can use a bought blade of 60mm.

I would like to see how it looks, send me some pics when you finish please

daniel321

Post by daniel321 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:07 am

Using an old saw blade for a planer knife looks like a great idea, and indeed will work. But I have my doubts that it is a good selection in the long run. The quality of the steel of a circular saw blade body can't be compared with the kind of real tool-grade steel used for knives and I can't believe that this budget solution will be able to hold a cutting edge anywhere near as long as the real thing.

Suso

Post by Suso » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:09 pm

hello Daniel,
you're right, but it depends on what you are going to do. I have always used this type of planes, and on my website you can see that I have made all kinds of projects without problems.
I recommend you read this article:

daniel321

Post by daniel321 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:28 am

Thanks for your recommendations, Suso.

Suso

Post by Suso » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:50 pm

It's been almost seven years ago since I tried to make this hand plane using plywood and an old saw blade. It can't be compared to a good steel hand plane, but it's a fun project to do that's perfect if you're starting to build your own tools!