Replacing P90s with humbuckers

Share your luthier projects!
Suso

Replacing P90s with humbuckers

Post by Suso » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:26 pm

Replacing P90s with humbucker pickups on this Epiphone. I'll need to make more space for the new pickups, as well as making some small adjustments to the binding and fretboard.

Conversión de pastillas P90 a humbucker en una guitarra Epiphone tipo Les Paul. Necesitaré agrandar el hueco de las pastillas y reformar un poco el binding y el diapasón.

Blog Article:

rudomat

Re: Replacing P90s with humbuckers

Post by rudomat » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:23 am

hi,
may i ask you some things...?
1. did you need to reduce the fretboard/binding there just to be able to let the frame sit on the top...?
2. can you tell me what the dark coat is? i guess it´s for isolation, right...? do you need to connect it to ground...?
3. would it also be ok to reduce the bridge ou whole towards the bridge...? i guess it´s the standard gibson way, as you did it towards the neck, right...?

thanks a lot,
rudomat

Suso

Post by Suso » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:28 am

hello Rudomat,

1- yes, it is for that reason!
2- it's conductive graphite paint, and you must connect it to ground. You could also use copper tape.
3- you're right again!

rudomat

Post by rudomat » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:47 pm

one more question: wouldn´t it also be possible - instead of reducing the neck for that 2mm or so - to glue a wooden strip over the whole width in the front pu cavity, so the pu frame could sit onto that and i wouldn´t have to reduce the neck...?
thanks a lot,
rudi

Suso

Post by Suso » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:07 am

it would be possible, but I think that way the frame of the pickup will not cover the wooden strip that you have glued! you will see the union between the wooden strip and body of the guitar.
Anyway you can try it, send me some photos so that I can see how it has been.