Portable Workshop by Anurag

Share your woodworking projects!
Anurag

Portable Workshop by Anurag

Post by Anurag » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:05 am

Hello everyone. I am a new member to this forum. I have been actively following Suso and his projects and You Tube. Yesterday I commented on one of his videos and he requested me to send some pics of the portable workshop I made following his plans. I discovered this forum on his website and decided to join it and post the photographs. I see that this forum is active and since I plan to make many of Suso's machines, I am really happy that through this forum I can get advice wherever I face difficulties.

This is the first photo of my portable workshop. I have been using it for the last six months and find it really useful for all my projects.

I actually did not want to have a portable workshop but a stationary one. Suso's other plan for a stationary table saw would have worked better but then I wanted to have the router table and the lift mechanism too on my table saw so I chose this over his other plan.

I do not see Suso using the portable workshop very often except when he was doing floor tiles project. So it makes me wonder whether it would have been better for me to have built the stationary table saw which Suso uses in all his projects. Apart from the fact that I do not have enough drawer space, in terms of functionality I am able to do most of the work.

I do face a little problem with the fence. Even when I lock it in position it gets firmly locked in the front but has a tendency to move at the other free end when side-ward pressure is applied, especially when I am using the fence for routing. I solve this problem by clamping the other side with an F-clamp. I would be happy if someone could give me a solution to this problem.

Here are some more pics of the Portable Workshop. I love the router lift mechanism. It makes things so simple for me. Like Suso demonstrated I have used the tilt mechanism to make bevels on drawer fronts using simple straight bits :)

Making the zero clearance insert plate was tricky because I has only 3mm depth. I used a 3mm acrylic sheet because it is commonly available in my local hardware stores. I had to really grind the screw heads so that they did not protrude. The plate has got some cracks but it works and making a new one is very easy for me...now that I have the original as the template. I wanted to ask if using a 3mm aluminium plate for an insert plate would be a good idea

The jig saw guide works really well for me. Since I don't have a bandsaw I use this exclusively to make curve cuts or notches. I have not yet made the modification in it so that the jigsaw blade can be tilted since I have not felt the need for it so far. I make these cuts by tilting the circular saw blade.

Overall, this project has been a great space saver for me as I can use one table for straight cuts, curved cuts and routing work. Hopefully someone gives me a solution for the issue I am facing with the fence.

In my next post perhaps I shall post photos of the jigs too.

Suso

Re: Portable Workshop by Anurag

Post by Suso » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:07 pm

what a great project Anurag! I'm glad to see you here.

personally, I prefer a more robust table saw to work on a daily, like my table saw, and use the portable workshop for work outside my woodshop. Depends on the space you have in your workshop and personal preferences, in this article I talk about it:

Regarding the fence, you could change the piece number 34 and make it thicker, with 18mm hard plywood. This will not solve the problem fully, but it will improve it. Check the end of this article:

I think that using aluminum for insert plate will be perfect!

Anurag

Post by Anurag » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:51 am

Thank you Suso for taking out time and putting energy to answer all my queries. Since I work entirely alone in my workshop and have never taken any formal training in woodworking or have woodworker, I learn entirely from You Tube. In India woodworking is designated as a work fit for manual laborers. So Experienced woodworkers like you who also show humility and willingness to teach are a great help for people like me.

Two years ago when I started woodworking, I took a decision to never purchase expensive tools but to build all of them on my own. For this reason I find websites like Paoson Woodworking an invaluable resource. What's more, I find your designs very stylish and aesthetic at the same time.

Keep up the great work you are doing! Hopefully you shall keep the forum alive. I have seen others woodworkers having started a forum but shut them down after some time, probably because they did not find the time or energy to manage it.

Suso

Post by Suso » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:25 am

thanks for your kind words Anurag! here I am if you need more help