Edge Belt Sander made by Jusa

Share your woodworking projects!
Suso

Edge Belt Sander made by Jusa

Post by Suso » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:07 pm

great Edge Belt Sander made by Jusa Annevirta. I like all the changes that he made to the original design. He wrote me:

I finished the sander a couple months ago and been using it a lot since. Been using it to build my third guitar and it has really been an awesome tool to have compared to my previous handheld belt sander modified to edge belt sander. Works well for small metal work as well as I built the hardware for the guitar from brass, steel and aluminum.

I made the sander a little different from the plans mainly because my motor has mountings from the side rather than a flange like your motor has. This way I was able to make the table little smaller and create a nice base to enclose the motor. I eventually made the ratio of the pulleys 1:1 because I found some aluminum pulleys to match the motor and the shaft.

I added steel plates under both of the sanding wheels and fastened them to the table rather than the spinning wheel as you showed in the plans. I also modified the dust collection system to be tighter around the belt because I only use regular shopvac. I found that this removes the dust much more efficiently.

I had the most difficulties with the belt tensioning system. I found it to be quite picky about the belt. Some belts track fine with minor adjustment of the tension and then the other won’t without the tension and tracking adjusted to the extreme. However, I think this might be just cause of the irregularities of the belts.

Suso

Re: Edge Belt Sander made by Jusa

Post by Suso » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:15 pm

more photos: