Justin's Portable Workshop

Share your woodworking projects!
justin_bonk

Post by justin_bonk » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:36 am

Hi All,

Been trying to get my Portable Workshop to the point that I can use it, to build the rest of it. So far so good, been tricky without having a tablesaw etc, but I'll get there.

Knowing that my work area is going to be uneven, I put in some adjustable feet so I can make sure its level no matter where I put it. Also, I my circular saw isn't as large as Suso's so I had to guess where to put mine, It possible to close to the front of the table, but not much I can do about that. I also had to tap holes into and do what I could to get it mounted, and to my surprise my square says its square to the table.

Next steps are to to the jigsaw table sorted out, sand it and give it a couple of coats to protect it, and then start on the sled and fence, so I can make the router table side. And then build the quick access covers and install the switches and stop button.

You can also see in the back ground my drill attached to the drill press table I built using the plans Suso had put up on the website. It does the job !

Suso

Post by Suso » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:41 am

Hi Justin,

Great work! Looks very good. Don't forget install start/stop buttons for safety reasons, I'm wainting for the photos when you finished your Portable Workshop!!.

justin_bonk

Post by justin_bonk » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:26 am

Hi All,

Finally got around to do some more work on my workbench. Has been way busy with everything.

I've added a nice safety switch to it and I got annoyed at having to climb under it to change the height of the saw blade. So I used the router lift mechanism as a starting point and built a saw lift.

I've got a link to it in action on youtube (please take it down if thats not allowed)

And some photos of building it. Was a few scraps of ply, some draw slides, 12mm pipe and 8mm thread rod as well as a bit of luck and cursing.

Over all it works far better then I expected and has made it a bit easier to set the height I need. It seems stable and hasn't dropped down when in use. It gets a bit stuck when winding it down, but i think its more to do with the circular saw pivot point then my system.

thanks again for the plans, When I finish building everything my wife wants, I'll get back to finishing it.

link to it in action.

Link to youtube

I used it to make a small foot stool for when she uses the computer.

Suso

Post by Suso » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:23 pm

I love the saw lift!
It seems that you are taking advantage of your Portable workshop, well done.
It would be okay if in the video you show the inside of the Portable Workshop, so we can see the router lift in action!