Suso

DIY lathe by Jaak Euggelen

Post by Suso » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:51 am

DIY lathe by Jaak Euggelen:

Suso

Re: DIY lathe by Jaak Euggelen

Post by Suso » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:57 am

Jaak has finished making the lathe guided by our plans, he wrote me:

Hi Suso. The lathe is finished. I modified the following elements: I sacrificed the tilting sanding table to reuse my old sanding disk with 100mm dust collection, which works great. Setting up the disk sander is quite easy : the sanding box is attached to the lathe bed with a knob, identical to the tail stock and tool rest. The dust hood slides over the axle and is guided between pieces of wood I glued and screwed on the inside of the box. The sanding table pivots on a piano hinge.

I had some aluminium plate lying about, which was perfect for the pulley housing cover. I attached a piano hinge with rivets to the aluminium so the cover can remain connected to the lathe.
As the motor I use is quite heavy, I only secured it with a hinge to the base plate, no additional knob to secure it, which makes it easier to change the pulley combination.
As you can see in the video, there is very little vibration even at the highest speed, which means that the construction is solid and stable.

Suso

Re: DIY lathe by Jaak Euggelen

Post by Suso » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:01 pm

sharpening station. Jaak wrote me:

Hi Suso, I've installed the rotation switch I bought for my 3 phase motor.
Attached you will find some photos of the grinding (ply) and polishing (mdf) disks I made. I've used a worn out 100 grit belt sander belt I had lying about. A bit coarse but it does the job for knife sharpening untill I can go to the shop to buy some 240 grit. I will have to make a new one though because the diameter is smaller than the pulley housing box so I bump into that part when I want to grind longer knives.
I have flattened the mdf polishing disk and loaded it with polishing compound. works great to polish the back of chisels.
Conclusion : I always sharpened my chisels with a tormek, but with the lathe installation now ready, it takes far less time to grind and sharpen my tools. I am so pkeased with the result (scary sharp) that I've decided to put my tormek out for sale because it has become redundant.
Cheers,