Daniel Veillard's Router & Saw Table Project

Share your woodworking projects!
Suso

Post by Suso » Tue May 10, 2016 6:42 am

New pics from Daniel, after some use... it looks even nicer!

CodyM

Post by CodyM » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:22 pm

This is a beautiful table. What type of wood was used for the top? Were these flooring boards that were glued together to form the top? Thanks!

Daniel2

Post by Daniel2 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:30 am

Hoho, Suso made me aware of this thread I hadn't noticed it :)

Ohh, I'm afraid you will be disapointed, it's just melamine with wood color coated plywood. I would not try to use
something else than plywood for the top as you need it to stay as straight as possible despite variations in
temperature and humidity. The melamine make it non sticky which is quite important for a table saw top !

The table has now spent one year in subtropical China (lot of heat, lot of humidity, and now one year in south of France
with less heat and quite dry in comparison, and as far as I can tell it is still flat.
It's a standard (for China) 2.2 x 2 plywood cut in half, I still have the second half in case I would like to double the top
or need to replace it :-)

Daniel

CodyM

Post by CodyM » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:06 am

Thank you Daniel, Not disappointed in the slightest. In fact, I'm grateful you replied to let me know that's it's not a good idea to use solid wood floor boards because of the warping possibilities. Glad to hear your table is holding up so well!