My portable workshop - work in progress

Share your woodworking projects!
riptor

Post by riptor » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:27 pm

So.
I barely have time to work on it but I do have some progress.
The main body is finished and also the table saw fence.
I did have a problem with the fence though. Its end wobbled, so I devised a tightning mechanism to fix it... Its in the video... Check it out!
Also some pics.

Suso

Post by Suso » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:01 pm

hi Ben,
your portable workshop looks great... congratulations!
It is a good idea to reinforce that piece of the fece, I guess now it works better?
What video do you mean?

riptor

Post by riptor » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:53 am

I wanted to post a video to the thread but didnt understand how to do it... Any thoughts?

Suso

Post by Suso » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:54 pm

hi Ben,
first you must upload the video to a social network, or to a cloud like google drive.
Then just share a link to your video here.
Let me know if you still have problems...

riptor

Post by riptor » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:20 am

Hi Everyone.

so yesterday I finished the router holder (finally...). It didn't turn out exactly as I wanted it and the mechanism is not smooth enough so I'll have to fix that.
2 more things that still need addressing are:
1. the opening in the upper plate .. I accidentally cut it not concentric to the router axis. so i decided to make a bigger opening and placing a round plate with slot instead of the plate in the blueprints. but that's easy..
is there a way to build an adjustable round router guide?

2. when I turned on the router my ears almost fell off. It was so loud I couldn't believe it. I think that the router lift itself is vibrating and that the entire workstation acts as a sound box (like in a guitar) and amplifies the sound. I think of adding rubber on the book axes and hope it solved this... I will also replace the router to a similar one and maybe it will be quieter.

Suso, do you have any thoughts on that matter?
here is a link for a video and after it some pics.
Vídeo:

Ben

mickey1

Post by mickey1 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:27 pm

Looks great. I'm gonna use formica for the top as well. : )

mickey1

Post by mickey1 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:52 pm

Having watched your video I recon you could lube up the sides with some sanding and finishing in nitro cellulose. Maybe a bit of car wax after that and it would slide nice.

riptor

Post by riptor » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:06 am

Thnx!...

the sliding is not really the problem... its an easy fix.
the real problem is that I have a 750W router with brushes and its loud!!! and the entire body of the portable workstation acts as a sound box and amplifies the sound to a level that even with anti noise headphones its quit horrible..

lets just say that when I worked with the 9 Inch Makita table saw I put there its loud but my wife doesn't complain. when I turned on the router she immediately called e and said that the noise woke up the baby.

since I dont want to buy another router (weaker one or brushless), I have to figure out a smart solution for this.

any suggestions?

Ben

Suso

Post by Suso » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:47 am

hi Ben,
about the sliding problem, I think the same as Michael...sure that a good sanding and varnishing solves the problem.

1- I don't know adjustable round router guides, you would have to make a template with a drill bit of the desired diameter, about 80mm, but these bits are quite expensive... but why not make it square? You avoid this problem and you can also match the hole with the router.
For that you can use an adjustable guide like this:

2- What model of router are you using? is an angle grinder? I suppose that the tool already makes a lot of noise when it is in your hands, and the cabinet is certain that amplifies the sound... sorry about that. I think that in time you will have to change the router... You could try to wrap it in an acoustic material, keeping the air output free, but this is a pretty dirty solution....

I'm sorry I can not help you...

Woodhead1

Post by Woodhead1 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:14 pm

Hi!
Just tried mounting my router, a Makita RP2301, in my portable workshop and it works very well with no additional noise from having the router mounted in the portable workshop.
I am using a stainless steel router table plate from here: https://italianwoodworkingtools.jimdo.com/
I have fixed the router to the plate with screws and thus it cannot be tilted, as in the original portable workshop.
I am surprised that the portable workshop handles the weight from the router (6 kg) and the plate (4 kg) so well.
Best wishes!