Scroll Saw Readers Project

Post by Suso » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:55 am

version of the scroll saw by Agus Krisbudiantoro:

Suso

Post by Suso » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:12 pm

Daniel Birrer's Scroll Saw
he wrote:
1. I made my own blade-holding-system using blades with little pins on the side (see first pic below). This required to drill a hole into the jig saws blade. However I found out that "regular" jigsaw blades are extremely hard and can not be drilled by "normal" drill bits. I had to order some cheap jig saw blades from china for the job :-) Aliexpress:
Besides that I am really happy with this blade holding system. As with your upgraded version; blade change can be done without tools and is done very fast.

2. The right jig saw is important! I used some cheap jig saw in the beginning which would have worked except for the blade chuck. It was cumbersome to change the blade and after I had disassembled it once I wasn't able to to put it together again so I decided to use my old Bosch PST700E. The blade chuck on the Bosch jigsaw is perfect for this application and blade change can be made very fast and easy. However with 700Watt the machine seems to be a bit on the weak side. It works but it's having difficulties with thicker wood/ hard wood or sometimes when I turn on the machine. If I had to replace it, I would use a 900W (or more) Bosch. Also the speed on the PST700E is determined by how much you press the button. It would be better to have a dedicated wheel to adjust the speed more precisely.

3. I should have made the vertical arm longer to be able to use different lenghts of springs. I had to do a little work around as you can see in the last pic since I got my springs after I had already built the arm.

4. Alignment of the blade is crucial. I should have integrated a better system to fine tune alignment after assembly. It took me very long to align it properly since I had to do it by try and error. Now that it's finally aligned it's fine but it took me a while.

5. Last but not least: I should have installed the whole thing a bit closer to the edge of my table. This way, when not using it, I could just rotate the arm to the side of the table by undoing one of the 2 screws on the back. When I do this now the horizonzal arm still lies on top of the table. Sorry if I confuse you..it's hard to describe... ;-)

Hope this can be somehow useful and I am looking forward to get some more awesome inspirations from you!

All the best!
Daniel

Video Demonstration:

Suso

Post by Suso » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:56 pm

maniek68

Post by maniek68 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:41 pm

Hi Suso, could you please give me the dimensions of a Tegocien blade. I greet

daniel321

Re: Scroll Saw Readers Project

Post by daniel321 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:23 am

Hi Suso, I have a big trouble with my jigsaw, Recently I am planned to buy a new one. Would you please recommend me which one is the best value for money with great performance.

Suso

Post by Suso » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:26 pm

hello Daniel,
here you can see a good choice quality-price relation:

Suso

Post by Suso » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:12 am

homamade Scroll Saw made by Alan Cleven, he wrote me:

Hello, I thought you might enjoy seeing my version of the scroll saw. I had to make a few modifications to fit my jig saw and I used bronze bushings as opposed to the roller bearings. Saw works very well. Three pictures attached.

marzy57

Post by marzy57 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:42 pm

I need spring specifications!
One suggestion I've seen is using a Pipe Bender Spring - found on amazon. What size ie. for pipe inner diameter 1/2", 3/4" ? Pictures look like thhe spring you used.

Suso

Post by Suso » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:27 am

hello marzy57,
inside the plans you will find a PDF file with the specifications of the spring. Here more info: