Mobile Workbench by Muanis Castro

Share your woodworking projects!
Muanis

Mobile Workbench by Muanis Castro

Post by Muanis » Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:36 am

I got the plans about a week ago. Took me a week to adjust to my saw and some other small changes so it is less 'fractional' on the imperial system.

Got all the plywood at Home Depot, it is Columbia Forest C1 Grade, they don't have anything better.

Loaded Jeep with Plywood:

Not the best plywood but it does look nice:

Doing most of the cuts with a circular saw and a track:

Using the table saw for the smaller ones, it is very uncomfortable to work on the floor:

Got about 15 of the 65 cuts of the first sheet today:

Hoping I can get the first sheet done tomorrow, it is the one with more cuts, used the Cutlist Optimizer website and it is good enough on the free tier.

If I can get start gluing some stuff this weekend it will be awesome. This is literally the first time I'm trying my hand at woodworking. I've used a table saw before on some "Introduction to Table Saw" at work. First time on my own.

Suso

Re: Mobile Workbench by Muanis Castro

Post by Suso » Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:00 am

Looks like you've thought out and organized all the required steps to make this bench pretty well. I hope to see more pictures of your progress. Good work!

Muanis

Post by Muanis » Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:55 am

A friend came to visit and I got some help. All the 18mm | 3/4" plywood pieces are cut. Not let's start gluing.

Muanis

Post by Muanis » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:26 am

Was able to put some solid hours of work today. I need more clamps :-) had to stop/pause multiple times today while waiting for things to dry.

Clamping the base

The first frame pieces

Dry Fitting everything!

The good news is that the saw fits perfectly and the fences moves freely. The bad news is that the differences on some pieces I cut on the table saw vs on the circular saw add up, those 1/16 or maybe 1/32 times a bunch of pieces makes some of the legs too big. Will need to trim a bunch of stuff on the table saw.

Some examples, thankfully I don't think there's anything that I can't fix.

The pieces 8/9/10 on the router size are about 1/8 too big.

The 4 outer feets (5/6/7) are also 1/8 too big.

Muanis

Post by Muanis » Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:19 am

I can only work on this on the weekends now. But I have some progress. The two frames are fully glued. Dry fit everything again and planned any high spots.

Make sure the frame is square

I don't have enough clamps, so I'll need to assemble the drawer 'cabinets' step by step. Sides first, then bottom and up.

Looking Good!

The fence has only a few millimeters of clearance

I can't find a lot of the special screws, so the final assembly may take some more time.

The next step is to set the correct height for the saw, shim it, and finish the table tops.

I cut 7B with 15" and I think the perfect size would have been 15 3/8"

Suso

Post by Suso » Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:41 am

I love it, keep up the good work!

Muanis

Post by Muanis » Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:48 am

Lots of progress, the entire workbench is glued, installed the fliptop shelf in the back and the rails on the side. I'll think I'll need to cut it again. drilled the hole too high.

Can't get the sliding top to slide also, I need to use something to lubricate the aluminun. The powertec rails are too tight