Folding Woodworking Workstation by David Smith

Share your woodworking projects!
Suso

Folding Woodworking Workstation by David Smith

Post by Suso » Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:05 pm

Davis wrote me:

I've really enjoyed building your Folding Workbench and I've attached a photo of my progress so far. My table saw is the DeWalt DWE7485 which is smaller than yours, so the Router Table cabinet you see is built out of scrap wood as I wanted to make sure my dimensions were correct to properly match the height of my saw and also the width - I decided to just elongate the cabinet from 362mm to 395mm and that seems to work fine.

I have a problem though and I'm hoping your woodworking mastermind can help me. I have The Smallest Workshop In The World, a utility closet underneath my stairs, where I store all my tools and then take them outside to work. Your workbench is perfect for me, but...

As you know, the 150mm wheel-to-wheel depth front to back is around 685mm but the opening to this cupboard is only 550mm, so I can't roll the workbench straight into the cupboard - it's needs to turn 90º and then roll in. But, the wheels don't roll that way! If the stand is folded up and stored on the Assembly Table end, at its widest it's 480mm - from the bottom of the 150mm wheels to the top of the my table saw. It fits into the closet that way, perhaps even with the fence still attached.

Here's my question: How would you engineer a solution to fold the workbench on its end and then push it through the door - so it's running perpendicular to the front wheels?

Two of my solutions are:

1. Build a furniture dolly with four 50mm locking wheels so that it doesn't move, fold the workbench and tilt it onto that dolly, then push the workbench through the door.

2. Or, similar to the small attachments you have for the assembly table, build a larger attachment that slides into the dovetail grooves that's the same size at AT8, and that attachment has the four casters mounted to it. However, I'm worried that the weight of the bench would eventually ruin the dovetail grooves, and I'm not sure how to secure/clamp that attachment to AT8 effectively and safely.

I just can't think of an elegant solution to being able to push the workbench perpendicular to the direction of the 150mm wheels. If you have any time, I would really appreciate any feedback you have.

All the best and thanks again for sharing this build, I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying it and how useful and perfect it is for my situation. Thank you.

Dave

PS: You may notice from the picture that I haven't drilled holes in the table saw stand. By sheer luck, I turned the table saw upside down and noticed each foot already has threaded inserts, so it was easy enough to just screw directly into them with a washer and bolt to help adjust height if needed. Seems like the larger model of the DeWalt doesn't have these, not sure why.

Suso

Re: Folding Woodworking Workstation by David Smith

Post by Suso » Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:01 am