Crosscut Sled adjusting

Discuss topics related to the Portable Workshop
Stefano61

Crosscut Sled adjusting

Post by Stefano61 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:53 pm

Hi Suso,
I understand you can reply in italian but I write in english for other users that might be interested in the subject.
I am building your portable workshop, great design and a lot of fun in making it! I am quite a newbie in woodworking, I am a modeler since a long time but I'm used to work on small objects and I have a limited experience in "real" woodworking.

Looking at your crosscut sled I see it does not have the back fence, the one far from you. This makes impossible to adjust the front fence for a true squareness because if you did it, the two parts the base is made of would detach and not stay parallel each other. In fact, you didn't described the method to fine adjust the front fence at 90 degrees. I understand one of the most used is the 5-cut method, which is not possible to do with only one fence. Am I correct? What do you suggest?

Thank you in advance for your help,
Stefano

Suso

Re: Crosscut Sled adjusting

Post by Suso » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:16 pm

hello Stefano!

as you can see, this tool,fence,sled etc.. design is quite simple, but still allows for decent cuts if you adjust everything correctly the first time. In my case, since the base of the sled was well squared I had no problems, I simply screwed the fence closest to my parallel to the base and I got a squad cuts.

You have three options, adjust the sled using the t-track slider, moving it to the necessary side.

Ajust the fence closest to you little by little before gluing it.

To check if it is square in any of these two options, make a cut at the edge of a piece of about 30 x30cm and turn it with the top side down. Cut back through the same edge and you will see if it is ok, or to which side you should move the fence.

The other option is simply to place a new fence far from you, doing it the way you explain in your message.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Stefano61

Post by Stefano61 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:40 pm

Thank you, Suso.

I was in fact thinking to do as you did, if the sled base is square I can align the fence with one edge and should get a decent squareness as you say. I see what I get, in the worst case I will make a second fence and use the 5-cuts method.
Speaking about glues, you didn't use any in this project, didn't you? I prefer to avoid glue wherever possible, so I can disassemble if needed for any reason.

Thanks again,
Stefano

Suso

Post by Suso » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:52 pm

you're right, it is a good idea not to use glue in this type of parts to rectify if necessary!

Stefano61

Post by Stefano61 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:14 am

Good. But you didn't use any glue at all in the whole project, am I right?

Also, another question, maybe trivial: I will end up having circular saw blades of different thickness. If I place the 0 of the adhesive ruler used to take measurements with the crosscut sled in line with the thickest blade I have, it will be out of more than 1 mm when I mount the thinnest blade.
Is there any way to go around this? How did you do? Do you just take the difference in thickness into account when you measure?

Thanks!
Stefano

Suso

Post by Suso » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:39 am

I used glue to assemble the cabinet, but if you use screws it won't be necessary, it's more a way of working mine!

As I always use the same blade I don't have that problem. You could screw some adjustment system in the fence, such as a metal plate with a line and a bolt that moves with the fence near of the measuring tape, and that you can adjust according to the thickness of the blade.

Stefano61

Post by Stefano61 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:01 pm

... of course I meant the fence, but you understand it, great man!
Thank you for the suggestion. I'll see what will be the best for me, maybe I don't need to change the blade either.

All the best,
Stefano