Table saw fence moving

Discuss topics related to the Portable Workshop
ralphd

Table saw fence moving

Post by ralphd » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:06 am

I built the table saw fence as per plans and the fence is very tight at clamp end however at the other end of the fence there is movement when only a little pressure is applied. The 9mm end plate, part number 34, is flexing, is there a fix for this, should I replace the 9mm plywood with 18mm.

Suso

Table saw fence moving

Post by Suso » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:04 am

hi Ralp,

About to the movement, when using the Circular Saw, this tilt doesn't affect us at all because we only keep pushing up to half of the table. Is different when using the Router, here we need to press over the entire length of the Rip Fence so it's a good idea to use a clamp in the opposite side of the locking knobs, take a look at the end of this article.

About to the tight fence, it is not normal, it has not happened to anyone, I guess you've cut the pieces too short, you can try to cut back a little bigger, and you could change the part number 34 (9mm) and replace with 18mm plywood.

Let me know if you still have problems!

ralphd

Table saw fence moving

Post by ralphd » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:41 am

Thanks for the quick reply Suso, the part sizes are identical to the plans but maybe the piece of ply I used is not strong, I will replace it tomorrow & let you know the result.
I read the article you linked to and it does clear things for me.

ralphd

Table saw fence moving

Post by ralphd » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:24 am

Today I replaced the 9mm plywood with 18mm and now the fence has only minimal movement at the back. The 9mm ply was flexing below the fence but the 18mm has no flex at all, much better.

Suso

Table saw fence moving

Post by Suso » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:16 pm

I am glad to read that! you could open a thread with photos in this forum(readers projects), it would be helpful for other users!

ralphd

Table saw fence moving

Post by ralphd » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:25 pm

I think you answered the wrong post Suso :)

Suso

Table saw fence moving

Post by Suso » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:11 am

Not at all! I would like to see your progress with photos and some text.

ralphd

Table saw fence moving

Post by ralphd » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:54 am

Ok sorry, I misunderstood, I will post some in a couple of days. My build is not exactly the same as yours, I am adapting your plans to replace the top of a Triton saw table with the main table saw section and the 2 foldable sides for the router & jigsaw so I will have to modify your plans to suit.

Suso

Table saw fence moving

Post by Suso » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:16 am

ok! that kind of changes are very interesting, especially for other users who are doing the same. thanks!

riptor

Table saw fence moving

Post by riptor » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:43 am

Hi.

I have the same problem and what I did was to add a 18mm piece to that of the 9 mm with screws and glue.
the problem is still there but not so much.. before it was about 5mm wobble at the end and after the addition its about 1.2-2mm.

But there is something that I dont understand!...
Suso, you said that Ralph maybe cut the piece too short... what piece are you reffering to?

because from what I understand, the tightening mechanism will not work if piece 35 is wider than piece 4. in the design, they both are 35mm so the tightening mechanism design shouldnt work... (tried it! had to shorten piece 35 a bit so there is a gap to be closed in order to have piece 36 press on 35 against 34 ). that is unless I dont understand something about the mechanism...

what I thought is to make pieces 35,36 and the lower part of 34 length bigger...(250 instead of 150).. so that the resistence to bending moment is higher and the effect of the flexability is reduced. what do you think?

another Idea is to make a step in the end of the fence, lose parts 35,36 and use the m8 screw to press against the main plate so that it is clamped between the step in the end of the fence and the screw.. thus you get clamping that is much more strong because you clamp the entire length of the main plate. what do you think??