Router on left, jigsaw on right

Discuss topics related to the Portable Workshop
Androo

Post by Androo » Mon May 22, 2017 1:40 pm

Hi,

For the portable workshop:
I'd like to put the router on the left, and the jigsaw on the right. This is because of limited space in my garage: I want to have the portable workshop against the wall ("non-portable", but with the folding-down mechanism). And because of my workshop layout the router would be better placed on the left hand side of the portable workshop.

Of course, I'd have to swap the fence around when I switch between table saw and router. But apart from that:
Can you think of any other practical reason why the router should NOT be on the left hand side?

Thank you!

Suso

Post by Suso » Mon May 22, 2017 3:08 pm

hi Androo,
you're right, you will have to swap the two long pieces of the fence and change the t-track profile to the other lid.
Another thing to take into account, you must check that the two folding lids can be closed without touching the power tools with each other inside.

Androo

Post by Androo » Mon May 22, 2017 7:34 pm

Is it actually a t-track profile??? I thought it's just a simple (u-shape) mitre profile?

Another thought... (please correct me if I'm wrong)
If I want to place the table against the wall, having the router on the LEFT side of the table saw is probably better:
- the router bit rotates anti-clockwise
- so any wood should be put through the router from the "wall-side" (for the router to work "against" the wood)...

in other words: placing the router on the LEFT side of the table (with the fence to the right of the router bit) is the way to go, right?

Suso

Post by Suso » Tue May 23, 2017 9:53 am

hi,
You can also use a "U" shape profile like I did in my first table saw!
you're right, the router bit rotates anti-clockwise so in your case it is better to place the router on the left side.