Saw blade height with folding sides folded down?

Discuss topics related to the Portable Workshop
cav

Post by cav » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:58 am

Hi - thanks for this great design which I am about to start to build. Can you tell me whether the circular saw blade can be fully retracted to a height that is level to, or slightly below the top of the table saw? I have a small workshop space so I plan on keeping the portable workshop below another (taller) workbench when the portable workshop is not being used. The problem is that I only have about 20 mm clearance height above the the top of the portable workshop.

cav

Post by cav » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:05 am

wrote:Can you tell me whether the circular saw blade can be fully retracted to a height that is level to, or slightly below the top of the table saw?.

Sorry, I meant slightly below the top of the portable workshop when the folding sides are folded down.

Suso

Post by Suso » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:32 pm

hi mate,
as you can see in my article, the total high is 900mm and does not vary even when the folding lids are up/down.
With this design and using the same power tools it is necessary to tilt the router holder before closing the lid in order to lower the saw entirely. You can also remove the router to lower the saw entirely, with this clamplig collar router is very easy.

cav

Post by cav » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:15 pm

Thanks Suso. So, I tilt the router or remove it, then I can lower the saw blade to just below the portable workshop top. And if I also remove the jig saw blade, then I have a perfectly flat top with nothing projecting above it. Perfect, that way when I'm not using the portable workshop I can slide it under my existing bench, which is about 920 mm tall, if I need more floor space.

Starting the build this weekend!

Suso

Post by Suso » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:34 pm

right! if you tilt or remove the router you will not have problems...
obviously you should also remove the jig saw guide/blade and the fence.

cav

Post by cav » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:29 pm

Great, many thanks for your help Suso. Keep up the innovative projects!