Full size router (3 horsepower) on the portable workshop

Discuss topics related to the Portable Workshop
Justme

Post by Justme » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:58 am

Keep in mind another big plus...Triton is made to be fitted under table....some more of its specs....)

Single button switches from plunge to fixed based router with rack and pinion adjustment Micro winder enables continuous fine depth adjustment through the full plunge range Rack and pinion height adjustment and table winder eliminates the need for expensive lifting mechanisms when used with router tables ( this appears to be only for the 2400 kw )

Router Table Side air vents reduce intake of dust into the motor casing when mounted upside-down in a router table

Ps

I also bought the same saw...an awesome product

Justme

Post by Justme » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:01 am

wrote:Nice!

I actually bought the Triton TSA001 circular saw a couple of weeks ago just for its table-mounting features - especially for this project.
It was on Amazon for 125 GBP - I couldn't resist...

Now I'm looking into routers.
The Triton looks promising exactly because of the features you mentioned.

I have my concerns though:
It's quite heavy, so I don't know how it will hold up when mounted on the folded workshop.
Wouldn't the weight of it mounted horizontally put a strain on the mounting point?

Also, I haven't decided if it would be good to use a mounting plate such as the Kreg.

Finally, I also plan to use it handheld from time to time. Is it a pain to put the plunge spring back every time you remove it?

Your thoughts?

Re: wouldn't the weight of it mounted horizontally put a strain on the mounting point? My thoughts was to double up on the support struts , even replace with hardwood. Do that then use heavier pivot bolts.

Mike_a

Post by Mike_a » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:03 am

wrote:Keep in mind another big plus...Triton is made to be fitted under table....some more of its specs....)

Single button switches from plunge to fixed based router with rack and pinion adjustment Micro winder enables continuous fine depth adjustment through the full plunge range Rack and pinion height adjustment and table winder eliminates the need for expensive lifting mechanisms when used with router tables ( this appears to be only for the 2400 kw )

Router Table Side air vents reduce intake of dust into the motor casing when mounted upside-down in a router table

Ps

I also bought the same saw...an awesome product

Thanks for the tips!

I will probably buy this router - I want to wait for a nice price drop (I'm not in a hurry).

As for the saw, I bought it without reading almost any reviews (which is very untypical for me) because there is next to none available.
Do you have some experience with it?
How would you rate its performance and usage?

Thanks again.

Justme

Post by Justme » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:08 am

I bought my saw second hand, hardly used. Have already used it for a project and intend mounting it in my portable table saw...its fantastic....performs like the difference between driving a ferrari and a volkswagen...realy it does....its very powerfull.

Mike_a

Post by Mike_a » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:11 am

Wow, great!

Thanks again for the tips.

It's a shame Triton doesn't make jigsaws for mounting under tables :-)

Justme

Post by Justme » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:20 am

wrote:Wow, great!

Thanks again for the tips.

It's a shame Triton doesn't make jigsaws for mounting under tables :-)

Same here.....I love having "same things" however

Bosh Professional however has a 780W jigsaws that have a cutting depth of more than 150 mm. My choice ( still have to buy)

Robust and powerful with an all metal gearbox for durability, the GST150 will cut up to 150mm in depth
Fitted with a 4 stage pendulum, constant electronics as well as variable speed trigger and speed dial, you have full control whatever the material you are cutting
Giving high cutting precision with a saw blade clamp system, blade changing is fast with the Bosch SDS keyless lever system
The aluminium sole plate is robust and bend-resistant for the toughest jobs; a dust blower keeps the blade cut line free of sawdust

Mike_a

Post by Mike_a » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:23 am

I also have my eye on this model - I guess great minds think alike ;-)

It's also one of the few models I found that has dust collection.

Justme

Post by Justme » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:09 am

By the way.....

Why not considering widening the cabinet i.e. allowing more space between the saw and router?

Mike_a

Post by Mike_a » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:19 am

It's not a bad idea.

Only concern would be that the workshop would then be less portable...

Justme

Post by Justme » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:50 am

Using a TRA001 then as said previously the Router Holder could be much more simpler.

I have given it some thought, not easily explained....

Still in reference to Router Holder numbers...

Using only parts 21, 20, 16 but allow for a 180 degree swivel span i.e. to be able tilt either way
Then make / obtain a thin u shaped router fixing plate (I intend metal sheeting)...It will be as wide as the router base plate, the center section also as wide as the router base plate ( i.e. "router base plate square"). This u shaped fixing plate will be fixed to the router base plate with the "legs" mounted down wards (i.e. u-shape up side down), then able to be affixed with part 16 to either side on parts 21... This way the router should be able to swivel either way by 90 degrees.

Only then to consider is the size and shape of the actual router bench plate ( the surface plate)

This structure should take much less space.

Trust you understand my thoughts

(Sorry, I meant to swivel as far as necessary ( not really 90 degrees).)