Full size router (3 horsepower) on the portable workshop

Discuss topics related to the Portable Workshop
Suso

Post by Suso » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:39 pm

hi Wieger and Michael,
first of all I want to say that any of these tools are perfect for this project,(Bosch GST 150 jig saw, Triton TRA001 router and Triton TSA001 circular saw) I am particularly in love with the Triton brand, wishing I could try one of them!

and now my opinions:
Wouldn't the weight of it mounted horizontally put a strain on the mounting point?
Seems a very robust and well built tool, I don't think you have that problem if it is firmly attached to the lid. What can happen is that the lid will open slightly due to its weight, but that is one of the reasons why I have installed a closure in the design, so it's not a problem either.
I think you can install it as it comes and with the plunge spring, and use a lifting system similar to this one:
You should check the measurements in the plans to see if you can close the lid with the router in place, if not, it is a good idea what you said about making the cabinet wider, I don't think that's why it's less portable...

Anyway, you'd better check the measurements first, you might not have that problem. Other users have installed similar sized routers without problems!
Adil Azoubaa's Portable Workshop
Dinh Trong's Portable Workshop
Rostislav Palvoda's Portable Workshop
Pep's Portable Workshop

Justme

Post by Justme » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:37 am

wrote:hi Wieger and Michael,
first of all I want to say that any of these tools are perfect for this project,(Bosch GST 150 jig saw, Triton TRA001 router and Triton TSA001 circular saw) I am particularly in love with the Triton brand, wishing I could try one of them!

and now my opinions:
Wouldn't the weight of it mounted horizontally put a strain on the mounting point?
Seems a very robust and well built tool, I don't think you have that problem if it is firmly attached to the lid. What can happen is that the lid will open slightly due to its weight, but that is one of the reasons why I have installed a closure in the design, so it's not a problem either.
I think you can install it as it comes and with the plunge spring, and use a lifting system similar to this one:
You should check the measurements in the plans to see if you can close the lid with the router in place, if not, it is a good idea what you said about making the cabinet wider, I don't think that's why it's less portable...

Anyway, you'd better check the measurements first, you might not have that problem. Other users have installed similar sized routers without problems!
Adil Azoubaa's Portable Workshop
Dinh Trong's Portable Workshop
Rostislav Palvoda's Portable Workshop
Pep's Portable Workshop

Hi Suso,

Thank you for the feedback,

As said I will give my own feedback, maybe Mike first (lol) when I get round to buying the router (given my monthly budget savings, it might take a few months). By the way, maybe you missed it? The Triton Router has its own rack and pinion height adjustment and table winder i.e. no need to any fancy lift capabilities....I have my own plan as described earlier. Will keep you guys posted

Suso

Post by Suso » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:28 pm

you're right Wieger, the Triton Router has its own height adjustment.
I look forward to seeing the router inside the portable workshop!

Justme

Post by Justme » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:21 am

wrote:hi again Mike,
by making it higher I think that you will not solve that problem, here you can see what I mean:

If your router is bigger and you can not tilt it, maybe you will need to remove the router to close the lids, but this is not a big problem...
please share your project with us and send me some pic!

Hi Suso,

I have decided to use:
Trition TA235CSl saw (already bought) weight 7.7kg, sizes: 270(H), 470(L), 203 (W)
Trition MOF001 router 1400W (still to buy, this one smaller than the 2400W router) weight 5.97, sizes: 290(H), 165(L), 285 (W)...I assume this width to include the handles. Also what wattage is actually enough? Trition supplies 1010W, 1400W & 2400W routers
Bosh GST 150 BCE Jigsaw 780W (also still to buy, the most powerful I could find in SA) weight 2.7, sizes 214 (H), 250 (L)

My question / request is if you could perhaps factor these sizes into your wire diagram i.e. to see what problem there could be with these sizes I appreciate your efforts.

Suso

Post by Suso » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:29 pm

hi Wieger,
my router has 1050 watts and goes well! I think if you don't make big projects 1400 watts will be enough for you.
Regarding to the dimensions/weight of the tools, are very similar to mine...and the height of the router is also similar.
If you place the router without the router holder, I think it can work and you can close the lid as long as you have the saw in its highest position.

Justme

Post by Justme » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:53 pm

wrote:hi Wieger,
my router has 1050 watts and goes well! I think if you don't make big projects 1400 watts will be enough for you.
Regarding to the dimensions/weight of the tools, are very similar to mine...and the height of the router is also similar.
If you place the router without the router holder, I think it can work and you can close the lid as long as you have the saw in its highest position.

Thank you Suso. OK if I start a new topic regarding my progress, questions on my planning, changes etc. Some day I will actually start building. Many thanks for your inputs to date

Suso

Post by Suso » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:44 am

perfect! You can open a thread with your progress here: