Full size router (3 horsepower) on the portable workshop

Discuss topics related to the Portable Workshop
Mike_a

Post by Mike_a » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:16 pm

Hi,

I'm interested in building the portable workshop.

However, I would like to mount a full-size, 3 horsepower router such as the Triton TRA001.

Will the portable workshop be able to accommodate this router size?
I guess I will also need to install some kind of support bracket to support its weight while the table is folded.

Thanks,
Mike.

Suso

Post by Suso » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:28 pm

hi Mike,
You can install that router without any problems. I don't think the weight will be an issue, the only thing you should check is that you may need to remove the router to close the lids of your portable workshop, because it looks bigger and may bump into the circular saw.
I suppose you plan to install it with the router lifting system, so you will lose the tilting functionality, but it's not like it's indispensable.
Here you can see examples of users using similar routers:
Rostislav Palvoda's Portable Worshop:
Pep's Portable Workshop:
Cole's Portable Workshop:

Mike_a

Post by Mike_a » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:53 am

Thanks!

I think I will maybe make the workshop taller (I am over 1.90), so perhaps it will fit in there without taking the router apart.

Suso

Post by Suso » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:15 am

hi again Mike,
by making it higher I think that you will not solve that problem, here you can see what I mean:

If your router is bigger and you can not tilt it, maybe you will need to remove the router to close the lids, but this is not a big problem...
please share your project with us and send me some pic!

Mike_a

Post by Mike_a » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:01 pm

I didn't explain myself properly.

I meant that by making it taller and keeping the same distance from the router the outside edge, it will sit lower in the cabinet when folded.

My though was to add 10 cm to the overall height.

Suso

Post by Suso » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:47 pm

ok now I understand!
that is a good idea, we look forward to seeing your final project.

Justme

Post by Justme » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:00 am

wrote:Hi,

I'm interested in building the portable workshop.

However, I would like to mount a full-size, 3 horsepower router such as the Triton TRA001.

Will the portable workshop be able to accommodate this router size?
I guess I will also need to install some kind of support bracket to support its weight while the table is folded.

Thanks,
Mike.

Hi Mike,

I am also planning to use the Triton TRA001 and would like your feedback / plans / photos as to your progress. I particularly choose to use the Triton as it has its own lift capability. I then only plan to revise Suso's router plan to allow for tilt capability. Hope you are planning for this as well and would like to see what you have done. Good luck

Mike_a

Post by Mike_a » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:32 am

Hi,

I haven't started to plan anything really.
As a matter of fact, I still haven't even bought the router....
I'm getting a new router to use specifically with the portable workshop so I want to gather as much information as possible before I pull the trigger.

Justme

Post by Justme » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:39 am

It is the Triton's power, under table mounting capability ( it has an action to disable plunge capability) and build in lift capability ( with a above table adjustment capability) that draws me. I must say that I have a Triton 2400 kw saw , so same product draws me as well. By the way , Triton does have a 1400 kw router that is much cheaper that the 2400 kw. I am think that this one should be strong enough.

Mike_a

Post by Mike_a » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:47 am

Nice!

I actually bought the Triton TSA001 circular saw a couple of weeks ago just for its table-mounting features - especially for this project.
It was on Amazon for 125 GBP - I couldn't resist...

Now I'm looking into routers.
The Triton looks promising exactly because of the features you mentioned.

I have my concerns though:
It's quite heavy, so I don't know how it will hold up when mounted on the folded workshop.
Wouldn't the weight of it mounted horizontally put a strain on the mounting point?

Also, I haven't decided if it would be good to use a mounting plate such as the Kreg.

Finally, I also plan to use it handheld from time to time. Is it a pain to put the plunge spring back every time you remove it?

Your thoughts?