Swap jigsaw and router over

Discuss topics related to the Portable Workshop
Ceedeer

Post by Ceedeer » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:23 am

Hi,

Thanks for your great plans! I started building your portable workshop yesterday. Maybe I will make a modified version: Router on the left, Jigsaw on the right. I have a few questions:

1) I’m using 5mm perspex for the tool opening covers. I only have a 150mm Circular Saw and a 30T Blade. The blade is fairly cheap, and I can’t find decent blades for 150mm.
Do you think the 30T blade can cut its own opening into the perspex? From previous experience of using a router on perspex, I know how perspex can behave different to wood. And so I’m worried the perspex might break into pieces.

2) If I want to place the router on the left and the jigsaw on the right: Where should I put the mitre channels? (Looking at the table from my working position).
I would like to place the table saw sled, so that the cut happens to the right of the sled (same as your design). And the table saw fence should also be to the right of the table saw.
This makes me think that placing the router on the LEFT of the table may be impractical, no?

Design option #1 (Left to right):
- Router fence on the far left
- Router opening
- Mitre Channel #1
- Mitre Channel #2
- Table Saw
- Table Saw fence
- Jigsaw
But that would mean that the two mitre channels are very close to each other and don’t have a tool between them.

Design option #2:
- Router fence on the far left
- Router opening
- Mitre Channel #1
- Table Saw
- Mitre Channel #2
- Table Saw fence
- Jigsaw
But this would have a mitre channel between the Table Saw and the fence. Would this be a problem, or impractical? Or could it maybe even be a good thing? I don’t know…

Can you think of any other options?

Suso

Post by Suso » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:21 pm

hi Helmut,

1- Really I've never worked the perspex, but I guess it's similar to methacrylate or acrylic. The ideal is to be able to lower the revolutions of the disk, and also use a special disk for that type of materials.
Anyway I have cut acrylics with my circular saw (which I can not lower the revolutions) and this disk, and I have had no problems. You should try with your saw and slow progress.

2- What is the reason to swap the tools? I know a case of an user that you can see here:
I think you're going to lose functions with both options...