Tilting router

Discuss topics related to the Portable Workshop
Justme

Tilting router

Post by Justme » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:55 pm

HI all,

Why the need for a tilting router base? I have always just to date done strait line edging and for this a router table i.e. the router part of the portable workshop will do ( whithout tilt)

Suso

Tilting router

Post by Suso » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:30 pm

hi Wieger,
as I commented in an earlier message, is not at all essential. Few times you will need to tilt your router, especially because of the wide range of router bits that exist in the market.

Justme

Tilting router

Post by Justme » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:29 am

Hi Suso,

As stated I am planning now to affix my router to its base plate without any tilting capability. This base will be of size 300 x 200 and the router will be removable fixed to the base from above my portable workshop.

Utelising tilting capability of a router can be achieved accoring to my research in 3 ways
1. By a tilting router mounted under its workplace...i.e your tilting router holder, the option not to be used by me
2. By a tilting fence i.e when router still affixed under workplace....An easy implementation, however I will not have capability of a horizontal affixed router.
3. By a tilting router work top i.e when router is affixed horizontally. Here one can add sliding capability of the router work top to the mix as well.

Will either option give same , similar results of use of the capability to tilt the router?

You may gather that I am aming to plan, use option 3. I will explain later

Have a wonderfull day

Justme

Tilting router

Post by Justme » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:55 pm

Hi Suso,

Just a thought......Looking at your 3D router plans , capabilities is it at all necessary to plan / have an option of installing my router horizontally?

Any feedback on the above?

Suso

Tilting router

Post by Suso » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:03 pm

hi Wieger,
as I commented in an earlier message, the tilting function of the router is not essential. Few times you will need to tilt your router, especially because of the wide range of router bits that exist in the market.
I would not give much importance to this subject, if you have in mind to make the Portable Workshop and the 3D Router you will be able to make many types of works!

You can develop a new holder to use the router horizontally on the 3D Router, that you can remove when you do not use it. However in this type of tools the router must be able to lower more than the work surface, and in this case you can not do it. You should make an additional half table to put on the table itself of the 3D Router.

In your case, perhaps you should think about making a horizontal router itself apart from these tools, In the future I also have in mind to develop one of them.

Justme

Tilting router

Post by Justme » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:10 pm

Hi Suso,

I have had the same thoughts as per your feedback.

Thank you

Justme

Tilting router

Post by Justme » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:15 pm

wrote:Hi Suso,

I have had the same thoughts as per your feedback.

Thank you

And ( I forgot to add).

A possible / easy addition something similar to this? (which can easily be attached to your version of the fence)

Suso

Tilting router

Post by Suso » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:43 pm

I like this idea to adapt it to the Portable Workshop, but I think it is better to make two fences, the one that comes out in my plans and another like this one.
Right now I am talking to another user something that may interest you (how to tighten the fence), look at this:

Justme

Tilting router

Post by Justme » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:12 pm

wrote:I like this idea to adapt it to the Portable Workshop, but I think it is better to make two fences, the one that comes out in my plans and another like this one.
Right now I am talking to another user something that may interest you (how to tighten the fence), look at this:

I have been following and reached an idea of my own ( again!)

My thought is to in addition to your fence fixture allow for two "cross" t-tracks of which the slides ( short versions) will be attached to the fence. The slides itself should give for better stability and one could even lock it down using the t-tracks.

I am uncertain as to the sideways move ability ( not to be restricted by the t-tracks).

Using this method then the attached tilting router fence should be stable / will be stable. (the reason leading me to this solution)

Expanding the thought a bit further then the current 3 (possibly 4) tracks and the new 2 across tracks can then also lead to the total top being a suitable work space with tracks / hold downs for whatever purpose. Using of course interaction sections ( second photo)

The top idea could entail something like this ( split as per your plan) . Just envision your fence running across with possibility to affix / stabilize to the t-tracks.

Suso

Tilting router

Post by Suso » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:12 pm

hi Wieger,
this could work, but you must keep in mind a couple of things:
1- You should cut the new t-tracks to be able to close the lids, they must be very well aligned so when you use the guide it works correctly.
2- The two guides that you must put at the bottom of the fence must be at least about 100mm, to always keep the fence parallel to the saw blade. Something similar to the guide of my 3D Router.

You could also make a fence like the one you have in the plans to use with the saw blade/inverted jig saw, and another one with your improvements to use with the router...