How to secure Jigsaw to benchtop

Discuss topics related to the Portable Workshop
Wayne6

Post by Wayne6 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:45 am

Hi,

I have bought a Festool PS420 Jigsaw as it as the closest I could find to the model you were using where I live.

I am now trying to work out the best way to secure it to the underside of the bench.

The jigsaw comes with a removable plastic base (which can be swapped out for other baseplate types available from Festool). However neither the plastic base or the metal base beneath it have screw holes.

I am wondering if I need to drill holes in either the plastic or the metal base plate to allow it to be bolted to the base. However watching your video you don't seem to need to use nuts to secure it, so I am wondering how you do it.

I am happy to buy another base plate from FESTool if they have one to allow this, but I couldn't see one available on their site.

Any comments on how you secure your jigsaw base plate would be much appreciated.

regards,
Wayne

Suso

Post by Suso » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:04 am

hi Wayne,
as you can see in this image, some models like mine have 6 screws that fasten the plastic base to the metal base, I have unscrewed the two screws of the middle in order to attach my jig saw to a table.
Your model does not have these screws?
When removing the plastic base, the metal base has no holes?
Anyway you have bought a great tool, sure we found a solution, it would be nice if you upload a pic to see your jig saw base better.

Wayne6

Post by Wayne6 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:12 pm

Many thanks for the reply.

Yes, they've changed the bottom now. The bottom now clicks and slides on and off, and then appear to make a range of different bases you can purchase and attach.

festool-jigsaws

I've attached some pictures of the base of the current unit below.

I could remove the plastic base and drill through the metal in a few places without affecting the base I think, however none of the places see optimum and it would also require bolts instead of a simple screw which is a pity.

Another option might be to purchase the steel base and drill into that, but I still don't see how I can use screws not bolts...

Any suggestions or ideas?

Many thanks,
Wayne

Suso

Post by Suso » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:01 pm

hi again!
I don't think that metal base has enough thickness to make thread, in addition if you modify the base you can lose the tool warranty.
You should also be able to easily put and take the tool to use it as portable...
I think the best option for you is something like this, you must make a rebate that will allow you to attach the jigsaw and lock it in place, and then make some pieces for each side with threaded inserts to screw from the lid.

Wayne6

Post by Wayne6 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:09 am

Many thanks,

I'm trying to see how your illustration is designed...

Some questions:

1) I assume you still need to router out a recess in which to place the jigsaw base, in the same fashion as your original design? If so then it will need to be of a shallower depth than the height of the jigsaw base, so the jigsaw base protudes from the underneath surface. Correct?

2) Then you basically need to attach two pieces of wood to the bottom, the bottom piece would need a thickness less than the protruding jigsaw base, so that the piece on top acts as a clamp when you screw it down. The piece on top then needs to be attached at an angle so that it acts as a clamp when screwed down.

Is that all correct?

Many thanks for the continued answers.
Wayne

Suso

Post by Suso » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:48 pm

wrote:Many thanks,

I'm trying to see how your illustration is designed...

Some questions:

1) I assume you still need to router out a recess in which to place the jigsaw base, in the same fashion as your original design? If so then it will need to be of a shallower depth than the height of the jigsaw base, so the jigsaw base protudes from the underneath surface. Correct?

2) Then you basically need to attach two pieces of wood to the bottom, the bottom piece would need a thickness less than the protruding jigsaw base, so that the piece on top acts as a clamp when you screw it down. The piece on top then needs to be attached at an angle so that it acts as a clamp when screwed down.

Is that all correct?

Many thanks for the continued answers.
Wayne

Everything is correct Wayne.
I think this system will work very well, and you can easily remove the jig saw. You better do a test on a piece of any board to check all the measurements.