Some questions for Project construction

Discuss topics related to the Portable Workshop
nerobond

Post by nerobond » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:27 pm

first question , can fit plywood offset by 18 mm , for the construction of the bench ? or it takes another kind of wood?
second question , how do I make the holes for threaded inserts M6 and M8
third is last request , you tell me the brand of vertical milling cutter and jigsaw thanks
waiting for your response , I thank you hello daniele . P.S. I'm sorry for the English but I am translating all via google

Suso

Post by Suso » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:38 pm

Hi Daniele,

You can use any board of 18mm. I use hard plywood (i think in italian you call it multistrato di betulla) because it is the hard board I can find here. You also can modify the plans in order to use another thickness.

You can watch how I made the holes for the threaded inserts in the second 7:40 of this video

Depending of the threaded inserts you can find, you may need different drill bits. I am using 10mm with mines, but it can be different with other models.

I am using a router or drill with european neck (43mm) like a Kress 1050, a circular saw Makita 5903r and a Jig Saw Festoo PSB 300 EQ, to install other models you may have to modify a bit the plans.

Good luck with the project!

nerobond

Post by nerobond » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:39 pm

I thank you for the answers you have been very clear .soon I do BEGINNING to school project

Gianvador

Post by Gianvador » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:34 am

Hi there,
I also have some questions regarding the material for the portable workshop...
Since I would prefer to have a prefinished surface for the top, i have made a search on the web for birch plywood with any kind of special smooth surface on the edges, caming out at the end with the fact that it's not worth the effort because even if you'll be able to find it, i guess it will cost really too much compared for our purposes.

So, still having in mind a prefinished smooth surface, I had the idea to use the the yellow building panels used for the formworks, i mean these ones:
They are 27mm thick made of 3 layers of fir's dried wood with water resistant bonding. The surfaces are coated with a yellow glossy resin.
They are very common (at least here in italy) and not too expensive.
Do you think they can do the job?
Do you see any "hidden" problem using this material?
I'm a bit afraid about the 3 layers 9mm each one because i guess that once you have milled the shape of the saw you will remain with only one of them...
Gianluca

Suso

Post by Suso » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:20 pm

Hi Gianluca,

imho I think the one you are saying won't be a good choice.

You shoudn't have problems to find hard plywood in Italy, I think you call it multistrato di betulla. Sanding it and with a pair of coats of varnish, it will be so smooth. If you want something prefinished, you could try to find plywood with melamine or glue formica on the upper side.

Gianvador

Post by Gianvador » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:23 pm

Thanks Suso for your reply:
my problem was to find hard plywood (the so called multistrato di betulla) WITH the coated surfaces, that's why I've thought at the yellow panels. What instead I easily find prefinished is poplar plywood which i guess is not the same, isn't it?
Anyhow i will follow your suggestion coming back to the birch plywood (which for sure is not a prolem to find) with a pair of varnish coats.

I'm also planning to enlarge the dimensions of the portable workshop as follow:
circular saw table: 700 x 1000 compared with the original 536 x 815
jig saw and router table: 500 x 1000 compared with the original 431 x 815
- Due to this modifications and the bigger dimensions do you think could be a good idea to use 20 mm thickness instead of 18 mm for both body and tables?
Thanks again,
Gianluca

Suso

Post by Suso » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:04 am

I think that is the right choice because the panels you proposed I almost sure they will lose their shape with time.

It is a nice idea to make it bigger if you have space enough and if you need a bigger work space. Yes, I would go with the 20mm board. Keep in mind that the total weight will increase but anyway it will remains portable.

Good look with the project and please share photos!

nerobond

Post by nerobond » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:13 pm

sorry to bother you again , but I can not understand what represents the drawing on page 4 and page 8 in the present printable templates folder , also in the same folder as the drawing pag14 , not printed in full but only half , I'll have another request if you can tell me ( internet shop ) where to find tips to countersink the holes , because I shot all the hardware stores in the area but could not find anything , even the birch plywood , I found on the internet , where I live only keep poplar plywood and waiting for your reply thanks hello daniele

Suso

Post by Suso » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:55 pm

There is a file included in the zip called "how to print". You better download the last version of adobe reader to see the same as you can see in the tutorial.

The page 4 is the down view of the circular saw top panel. The 5 is the top view. The 8 and 9, the same of the jig saw panel.

Try to search for Countersink Bits, there is a lot of places online where you can easily find them:
Ebay Italy

About the boards, you must look for multistrato di betulla. Other users from italy had easily found it.

Gianvador

Post by Gianvador » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:01 am

Hi Suso,
another question about the plywood... I can find two types of hard plywood which differs from the glue type used between the layers:
one with "urea glue" which costs to me 14,5€/mq which is for internal use (Class 1, I, INT, IF20)
the other with "phenolic resin" which cost to me 25,7€/mq for external use (Class 3, E-RAH, WBP, AW-100)
I'm going to use the first one because i think it could be enough for my garage-workshop usage, but i would also know your opinion and the opinion of the others about it...
Thanks, Gianluca