Power Tools to build the Portable Workshop

Discuss topics related to the Portable Workshop
Nick2

Post by Nick2 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:06 pm

Hi,
I'm very impressed with this Portable Workshop and I want to build it. My only concern is that i'm in the US and I don't think I can get the exact tools you used. Do you happen to know which tools would be most similar here in the US?

Nick

PaleForce

Post by PaleForce » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:33 pm

nick,
I live in the states also and have purchased the portable workshop plans, I have yet to build it, I really just wanted the details of his router mounting and adjusting method and may just improvise that in to another work bench table I already use. after all that, I have had a chance to study the plans and believe almost any similar tool could be improvised into the portable workshop, I like palm size routers not sure which I would choose , I had to use the one I hand on hand for my 3d router. i would like to use this model Skil SPT70WM-22 Sawsquatch Worm Drive 10 1/4" Saw it being built with blade on the left may present particular challenge that I have not studied yet. I also imagine any jig saw could be used maybe a bit more study and minor changes or methods.

charles

Suso

Post by Suso » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:16 pm

wrote:Hi,
I'm very impressed with this Portable Workshop and I want to build it. My only concern is that i'm in the US and I don't think I can get the exact tools you used. Do you happen to know which tools would be most similar here in the US?

Nick

As Paleforce said, you can use almost any tool can be adapted (i am talking about the circular saw and jig saw) For the router, It can be a bit complicated to find one with the 43mm neck but I know you can do it. Take a look at this:
Where to Find the 43mm Clamping Collar Router

In case you want adapt a different one, take in mind you can find problems closing it if you don't place it in the right place.

PaleForce

Post by PaleForce » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:37 pm

yes for the portable work shop to close and work properly Mr Suso,s tolerances maybe tight and I may should study up a bit more.

Suso

Post by Suso » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:56 pm

Paleforce is right, but my Festool jig saw is one of the bigger you can find in the market, my Makita circular saw either; so or yours has an very weird form or I don't think you are gonna have troubles. But take in mind I am talking mostly about european models I know better. Anyway, read the specs of the machines before buy.

The router is a different story, if you don't find one with the 43mm neck, you can always remove it before closing.

Panelli

Post by Panelli » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:49 pm

Hello nick
That Skill saw is a beautiful tool! I would be concerned about two things, it is 15 pounds and the foot is small, thus may not be a stable base for the portable tablesaw.
The Makita saw that Suso uses is available in 120 volt model at less cost than the new skill saw. Another choice is the Milwaukee circular saw. It is a top rated saw with a big foot and costs approx $200. Hope this helps. NELLO