Building without a Table Saw

Discuss topics related to the Portable Workshop
Nicaguy

Post by Nicaguy » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:21 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm a bit apprehensive about starting the build, given I do not currently own or have access to a table saw. Does anyone have any recommendations on doing this build utilizing a circular saw? I know I can get the cuts I need, just need to get creative. However, I want to build this with a certain level of precision, since it will function as my main saw for other projects I have planned.

I may just need a little encouragement, appreciate everyone's time.

Thank you,

NG

P.S. Suso, love the videos & your work. These plans show and help those who would otherwise be priced out of woodworking, or are unable to get access to equipment due to their geographic location. Thanks again.

Thomas6

Post by Thomas6 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:55 pm

Hello, I could be cut the wood with a timber merchant!
Or lend a table saw in the property market!

Greetings from Germany
Thomas

Woodchuck

Post by Woodchuck » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:27 pm

wrote:Hello Everyone,

I'm a bit apprehensive about starting the build, given I do not currently own or have access to a table saw. Does anyone have any recommendations on doing this build utilizing a circular saw? I know I can get the cuts I need, just need to get creative. However, I want to build this with a certain level of precision, since it will function as my main saw for other projects I have planned.

I may just need a little encouragement, appreciate everyone's time.

Thank you,

NG

P.S. Suso, love the videos & your work. These plans show and help those who would otherwise be priced out of woodworking, or are unable to get access to equipment due to their geographic location. Thanks again.

Dear Nicaguy,

I`m not happy to tell you , but you need a saw. Not hand saw. You should find a workshop somewhere and pay the cuts. Use a optimisation program like cutmax and print the cutting sheet. What are you meaning with a circular saw ? The vertical band saw ? If so tou cand make same quidances at least to cut what is more important to improvise a table saw. Check on internet about how to build a cheap table saw. For the start you do not need high precision. Hope my advice will help .

Best regards,

Dorel

Suso

Post by Suso » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:22 am

As Nicaguy is saying you can take the maxcut file included in the plans and pay a little plus where you are buying the wood and avoid that step.

Panelli

Post by Panelli » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:06 pm

Hello nice
You may be able to build without a table.
Conditions
You have good wood working skills
Have a very good circular saw

You need to make a Track saw guide for your saw.(see internet)
You need to make a cross cut guide for your ciregular saw.
Make a temporary "table saw" by mounting your saw under a table. (See internet)
The large pieces can be cut with the track saw guide. The small pieces, you need the temporary table saw.

With patience and careful layout you can do it.

I have 3 track saw guides of different lengths, one 8ft long one 4ft , one 3ft.
I use them to break down large sheet material for the table saw.
In the past, without a table saw i built a complete set of cabinets while visiting a friend.

As an option see if you have a MAKER space need you. The have wood working tools in addition to electronic, cnc, laser cutter, 3d printers available for a fee.

Let us know what you do.
Nello

Nicaguy

Post by Nicaguy » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:15 pm

Didn't even think about creating a temporary table saw to build this. Will just need to make sure everything is square and I'll use a smaller diameter saw to help with warping and flexing. Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it.

Regards,

Nicaguy

Panelli

Post by Panelli » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:30 pm

Nice guy
You are welcome. The portable saw looks like a great tool. Keep us posted of your progress.
Nello