Jig saw table questions

Discuss topics related to the Portable Workshop
MagnusL

Jig saw table questions

Post by MagnusL » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:11 pm

Hi,

Great build - especially for those of us who have a compact workshop!

I was wondering about the jigsaw table, since I've tried to build something similar:
- Does anyone experience that the workpiece is sometimes pushed up by the blade, so you must press it down hard all the time, to avoid surprises? I've thought about making the blade guide easily adjustable in height, so I can use it to press down on the workpiece and stop it from getting pushed up. But that would only allow cutting flat stock.
- Does anyone get annoyed by the noise from the jigsaw vibrations, being amplified by the body of the table? I've worked a lot with dampeners to isolate the actual jigsaw mounting plate from the work table, but it's still quite noisy. Would be nice to be able to use it indoors without hearing protection.

Suso

Jig saw table questions

Post by Suso » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:49 am

Hi,

as I say in the video, that happens. All the inverted jig saw and even the scroll saws use to do that. But you can minimize this problem choosing the adequate speed for the blade and material you're using. Something you'll learn with some trial and error. The mod you say is one possible solution but the guide may not be as robust as you wish to do so and as you said you'd have to think about how to deal with non flat surfaces (maybe a spring...) Anyway, i think the way to go is to practice and try to minimize this effect to the max first.

About the noise, what model are you using? Mine of course make some noise, but not more than the router for example. Anyway, as a rule, we all should always use hearing protection even though some times we forget... ;)

MagnusL

Jig saw table questions

Post by MagnusL » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:09 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply! I'm using a Bosch GST 1400 CE, which I chose partly because it felt very quiet and balanced, as opposed to my old cheap Kellen jigsaw.

I'll practice some more to see if I can reduce the jumping of the workpiece!