High Capacity Multi-Function Workbench

Discuss topics related to the Multi-Function Workbench
calle

Re: High Capacity Multi-Function Workbench

Post by calle » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:33 am

Thank You very much Suso, i will check local offers and then will decide also considering costs.
Sorry about the question regarding the drawers tickness... i have to say that your file package includes "un monton" :D of info and it is hard to read everything in the middle of drawing the project and buy the material (expecially if you are not a professional woodworker like me).
I mean that as a compliment: i am really impressed, hard to make mistakes with your instructions, videos, blog articles, answers in the forum...

ckonruff

Post by ckonruff » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:51 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm still having trouble trying to get the frame built. I have watched the videos several thins and read through all the documents. Can you please go into more details of exactly how you built the frames?

Thanks
Chris

Grizoo

Post by Grizoo » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:59 am

Hi Suso,
I have bought the plans and will build this great workbench. I think it's the best workbench you can find on the web! I have a few questions about the holes for the bench dogs.
Why didn't you drill them closer together (10 cm)?
Do the holes bother you when you're not clamping anything?
Did you drill them through or do they only go to a certain depth?
If they are drilled through, won't objects fall into the holes? how do you get them out? Some have built drawers underneath, but that can't be done here because of the vice.

Thank you very much for the feedback.

Grizoo

Suso

Post by Suso » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:09 pm

hi Grizoo,
Sometimes you have to choose between practicality, convenience and funcionality, and this is one of those cases. The holes in the top are through holes, so some small objects may fall in. You can drill them closer together.

They can be a bit annoying when I'm not using them, but they're really useful for many jobs. You can also use T-track profiles, but the bench won't be as useful when used with a vise. It also depends on the work you are going to do and your way of working.

JP4LSU

Post by JP4LSU » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:34 pm

New member here. I just found the workbench this week on Youtube as I was searching for ideas. This thing is awesome.
The only thing I might add to mine would be a couple of T-slots and maybe slot along the front face. But I'm not sure yet.
But I wanted to get some feedback on how rigid it is if you are doing hand chisel work that is high impact. Would a thicker top be needed, more support under the top, a 3rd pair of wheels in the middle?
I plan on doing some hand work such as dovetails and hand joints. I will also be trying to come up with a way to attach a linear rail system for using a router to flatten slabs.

Thanks for any input or advice.
JP4LSU

Suso

Post by Suso » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:14 pm

hi mate,
the bench is sturdy enough to do those kinds of jobs. You can add t-track profiles to your liking and according to your projects or way of working.
Adding two more wheels to the middle is not a bad idea, here you can see that it is one of the improvements that I have made.

It is also a good idea to use the bench to flatten slabs, here you can see how this user did it. Send me some photo of your progress with the bench please!

JP4LSU

Post by JP4LSU » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:42 pm

Thank you Suso for the links and advice.
I think I'll do the extra set of casters. I will probably hold off on T-Tracks until I see that I might need them. That is something that can be added at a later date. Great workbench and very well thought out. I was thinking of using your general ideas and just try to map it all out myself. But knowing myself, I see a lot of wasted wood in my future if I did that. :lol:
So I wisely ordered the plans. Looking forward to getting started on this. Great work on all the plans and tutorials.
-JP4LSU

Grizoo

Post by Grizoo » Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:03 pm

Hi Suso, I am in the process of building the workbench and have decided that I want to fix the worktable from below.I will drill through the frame from below and countersink the screws.
I am also using a 45 mm thick beech top. Should the holes from below be slotted so that the wood can work, or is that not necessary?
What is your experience here?

Suso

Post by Suso » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:02 am

Grizoo wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:03 pm
Hi Suso, I am in the process of building the workbench and have decided that I want to fix the worktable from below.I will drill through the frame from below and countersink the screws.
I am also using a 45 mm thick beech top. Should the holes from below be slotted so that the wood can work, or is that not necessary?
What is your experience here?
hi Grizoo , If it is a finger joint board like the one I have used, I would leave room for expansion. At least for the first few months, after a few months the wood stabilizes, and hardly varies in size due to humidity.