High Capacity Multi-Function Workbench

Discuss topics related to the Multi-Function Workbench
gochoo

Re: High Capacity Multi-Function Workbench

Post by gochoo » Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:58 am

Suso

Is it necessary to have the center mortise and tenon or can it be done similar to your modular bench where you don't have one?

Also, I noticed the difference between the high capacity and modular benches are how the cabinets rest in the frame. The high capacity bench leaves only room for 1 plywood of the glued frame holding the cabinet and the modular bench uses 2 of the glued frame holding the cabinet. Which one do you now recommend now that you have built both?

Steve

Suso

Post by Suso » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:41 pm

hi Steve,

for a workbench of this size I think the center piece is necessary.

After months of testing both benches I have had no problems with either of the two methods, but I recommend you the modular bench system( 2 of the glued frame holding the cabinet.)

gochoo

Post by gochoo » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:29 pm

Do you think it would be ok to use hardwood plywood for the cabinets as well?

Suso

Post by Suso » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:06 pm

yes, you can use it.

gochoo

Post by gochoo » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:34 pm

One more question Suso

Do you think a center mortise and tenon is necessary for a 762mm x 1524mm bench?

Suso

Post by Suso » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:47 am

hello again Gochoo,

I'm not sure, but I would also install the center piece for that measure too

ckonruff

Post by ckonruff » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:51 pm

Hello Suso,
I purchased the plan and going to get started building it soon. I have a question about the jig that you’re using to build the frame. Can you give the dimensions of it so I can make sure I build it correctly?

Thanks
Chris

Suso

Post by Suso » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:03 am

ckonruff wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:51 pm
Hello Suso,
I purchased the plan and going to get started building it soon. I have a question about the jig that you’re using to build the frame. Can you give the dimensions of it so I can make sure I build it correctly?
Hello Chris,

that jig must have the measurement of the piece that is supposed to go in that place. I think I have used two, one 100mm and one 18mm

calle

Post by calle » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:11 am

Hi Suso, after i bought both high capacity and modular workbenches plans i finally decided to build the high capacity one. My big concern is on the material, as my workshop is located in the garage and i have to fight with humidity: plywood is too risky, except the okoume for marine carpentry, but the budget will raise too much. I am thinking to Valchromat 16mm (too light? better 19mm?) for the structure + MDF moisture resistant 10mm for the drawers, both sides and bottoms as i would like to go as down as much as possible with the weight (and the cost :D ). For the lid, Valchromat is available max 30mm, but i think it would work.
What do you think about these choices?
Second question is about about plans: the cutting list of the drawers sides says Soft Plywood 18mm, but the sketchup measure seems to be 15mm
Tks

Suso

Post by Suso » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:11 am

hello Calle,

In my opinion, you won't have a problem using baltic birch plywood for the frames and soft plywood (poplar or okumen) for the drawers and cabinets. They are the same board that I have used and once varnished they are boards that withstand humidity quite well!

You can also use waterproof MDF or Valchromat, I think 16mm will be enough.

What you should take into account if you have humidity is not to use finger joint board for the lid, as they are more prone to absorbing and exhaling moisture, changing its size.

Regarding the second question, this is what you can read in a file inside the instructions folder : "My original idea was to use 15mm thick soft plywood for the drawers. Finally, in order to optimize the sheets I used 18mm thick soft plywood, so in the 3D model you will see that the pieces of the drawers are of 15mm and in the cutting list are of 18mm thickness."

If you want to use a 15mm board, you will only have to extend 6mm the front and back pieces of the drawers.