High Capacity Multi-Function Workbench

Discuss topics related to the Multi-Function Workbench
Suso

High Capacity Multi-Function Workbench

Post by Suso » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:47 pm

This is my latest project. It’s a high capacity multi-function workbench. This is one of the projects I needed most in my workshop, because the bench I’ve been using until now is low and not very versatile. It’s a cross between a woodworking bench and a workbench, combining the advantages of both.

It’s a robust bench with plenty of storage space to keep tools handy. I’m planning to put my vacuum in it to make it easier to remove dust while I work, while making it less noisy. As always, I’ve tried to develop a model that is easy to assemble at home.

Instead of making it the usual way by removing material, this time I’ll do it by gluing pieces of plywood together until they are thick enough, leaving tenons and mortises. It’s easier to do it this way if we don’t have a lot of tools, and you’ll be able to use any leftover plywood you have at home. The two outer frames are made of birch plywood, making the bench sturdy and stable. The rest of the pieces joining the frames are made of soft plywood, to make the total weight lighter.

Here you'll find the plans:

Blog Article:

A few days ago, while I was cutting the cabinets for my kitchen, I missed having a tool that could cut whole boards or large pieces in a faster, more efficient way, as well as making repeated cuts, which is why I also thought about attaching a cutting station to the bench, using a plunge circular saw, which you will see in the next posts.

Suso

Re: High Capacity Multi-Function Workbench

Post by Suso » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:03 pm

Finally I can put the frames and the cabinets together, the four parts that make up the structure of the workbench. Now I can install the bench top, using a beech finger joint board that I got from the supplier Basicmadera.

Suso

Post by Suso » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:04 pm

Today I've made the two pieces through which the rip cut guide of the workbench will slide.

Suso

Post by Suso » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:46 pm

I'm going to make the grooves that will allow me to adjust the height of the rip cut guide. My 3D Router will be perfect for this job!

Knobs made with hard plywood and square neck bolts. With them, I can adjust the height of the two pieces through which the rip cut guide will slide.

Suso

Post by Suso » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:58 am

I have finally finished my new workbench! here some photos:

myviewsontech

Post by myviewsontech » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:31 am

Now this is fanstastic - Very unique. Looks stunning! 10/10 :D

Suso

Post by Suso » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:43 am

myviewsontech wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:31 am
Now this is fanstastic - Very unique. Looks stunning! 10/10 :D
thanks!

Chri

Post by Chri » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:22 am

Awesome work!
I'd like also to upgrade my workbench with that hole pattern and your bench dogs. Do you use the same diameter for the holes and pipes?
I wonder whether that could work since i assume the holes should be 0,2 - 0,5 mm larger...?
Can you give me an hint which diameters you use?

Best regards from Germany,
Christian

Suso

Post by Suso » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:28 am

hello Chri,
I used a drill bit and a steel pipe of 20mm, but it will also work if you make the holes 0.5 mm larger than the pipe!

Chri

Post by Chri » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:41 am

Hey,

thanks a lot for the quick reply!

I was hoping that the combination 20mm hole and 20mm pipe was working since you can find drill bits and steel material of this size in every hardware store.
Result is that I'm very reliefed not to have to order a special imperial drill bit size (51/64") from UK or US! :D

So I'll go with the 20/20 approach and will see whether it works out for me.

Thanks again and best regards,
Christian