High Capacity Multi-Function Workbench

Discuss topics related to the Multi-Function Workbench
Suso

Re: High Capacity Multi-Function Workbench

Post by Suso » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:14 pm

it's going to work, you'll see! Share some photo with us please.

wchapman

Post by wchapman » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:09 pm

I have a question. With the current rip cut jig that you designed, can you make stable thin rip cuts? Seems people have difficulty with thin rip cuts with track saws and I was wondering if your setup solved this.

As a side note, I am setting up my limited space workshop and your design has me thinking if I need a table saw. I already have a band saw.

Thank you for the inspiration. Hopefully I'll purchase your plan and start building in the coming months.

Suso

Post by Suso » Wed May 01, 2019 9:28 am

hello!
this rip cut guide allows you to make thin cuts, I will show how to do it in new videos! The bench is a good option for small workshops.

Chri

Post by Chri » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:48 pm

Hey again!

Short update, my old workbench needed to be scrapped due to a heavy water intrusion into my workshop, workshop is still in re-building process...
So I'll switch completely to your approach of your Multi-Function Workbench and hoping to build it with your plans in the next couple of months.

I've seen that the top side of your bench is 888 mm over ground including feet, which is a bit low for me. I'm aiming more to 920 mm so I see serveral possibilities
+ go for a 70 mm table top --> way too expensive
+ look for higher feet --> makes the bench instable imho
+ modify your plans

I'd go for option 3 so my question is whether it is possible to get an updated piece list from you.
Or - if possible - if you can provide an updated step-file, I can generate the drawing for myself in my CAD program.
Can you make this work?

Some additional info, there are some errors in the piece list of your plans:
The width of piece 21 is 421, not 425, also the measurement 356 should be 362 in your drawer drawings.

Best regards,
Christian

Suso

Post by Suso » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:34 am

hello Chri!
are you going to use the same wheels as me? I ask you because it is a type of low wheel, if you use another type of wheel with brake you will get about 20-30mm.

if you are going to use the same wheels, you can also think about adding a piece of wood about 3cm between the wheel and the bench.

Where have you seen those mistakes in the plans? could you tell me the name of the file? thank you very much for letting me know!

Chri

Post by Chri » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:59 pm

Hey,

I really like the feet you use since they seem to be much more sturdy than the locking wheels I've seen on other designs. Additionally the locking wheels use a gear to lock the rotational axis and I figured out they don't always snap into place.
So I'll go for two options, your feet or the Matthias Wandel solution (6min42sek), either one has pros and cons.

Simply adding a small block under the feet seems indeed to be the best solution, thanks for that. I'm never too old to be complicated ;)

The small errors are located in the pieces.pdf file, p.21, I think the distance should be 421, not 425. Probably picked a wrong spot when generating the drawing.
And I found the drawer widths should be 362 instead of 356, see p. 23 thru p30.
My reference was the 3D-model ;)
Would have sent this per PM bit thats dectivated... 8-)

Best regards,
Christian

Suso

Post by Suso » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:55 am

hello Chri!

I like the idea of Matthias, but I think this bench is too big for that method.
You're right with the first mistake, I'm going to modify it. The second depends on the drawer slide you are going to use, some slides are thicker than others...
Let me know if you haver more questions!

Jexodus

Post by Jexodus » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:53 am

G'day Suso,

I'm looking at building this project, however am having a hard time finding countertop in my area at a width of 1000mm.
My question is, would it be feasible to use two sheets of 2440 x 1220 x 18mm AA grade mixed-hardwood marine plywood. I was thinking if I glue two sheets together, although not as nice as the countertop, the surface should be quite functional.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions. Thanks in advance.

Suso

Post by Suso » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:42 am

hi Jexodus,
as I explain in the article, you can use that plywood board. You can use one about 40mm thick, or glue two sheets together.

Chri

Post by Chri » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:58 pm

Jexodus wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:53 am
I was thinking if I glue two sheets together, although not as nice as the countertop, the surface should be quite functional.
I'm not entirely sure whether that's a good idea.
The quality of a wood glue bond usually is strongly dependent of the surface quality (flatness and roughness) of the wood and the amount of pressure you can apply.

Since even plywood has some variations in terms of thickness and usually comes not mirror-like flat I would assume that you'll end up with a whole bunch of air trapped between both sheets. And there you'll have a lot of load concentration spots which will make the sheets disbond when stressing the table top (hammer blows or clamp pressure).

Further I can't imagine a possibility to apply enough pressure onto the sheets to remove these imperfections.
Easy calculation:
Recommended pressure for wood glue is about 2 kg per cm², depending on your manufacturer.
Your sheet has an area of 3 m² or 30,000 cm². Means you would need 30,000 cm² x 2 kg/cm² = 60,000 kg of weight to force these sheets together, that's 60 tons or a huge truck.
Sure, that's theory but reality is not far off.

Vacuuming might be a possibility but I assume that's gonna be a huge mess...

My local wood dealer managed to get me a 40 mm plywood sheet in 2.5 x 1.25 meters and that's gonna work for me.
Hope, you'll find a proper solution for your issue!