Mobile Workbench with Table Saw & Router Table

Discuss topics related to the Mobile Workbench
Jacob80

Re: Mobile Workbench with Table Saw & Router Table

Post by Jacob80 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:51 pm

Thanks for your quick reply!

I saw Dennis from Hooked on Wood use the black MDF a lot too and I love the aesthetics of it, but I can understand the humidity (changes) become an issue. HDF would then be more stable but even more expensive.

OK, I'll go with the ply wood (in the Netherlands Okoumé hard wood is one of the more common and affordable types though not as pretty, Poplar is about EUR20,- less per full sheet at my local supplier so I'll want the extra weight and rigidity of Okoumé for that little extra money) and HPL laminate then.

Suso

Post by Suso » Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:51 am

hi again Jacob,

in my opinion, the black MDF or standard MDF is a good option when you have a sturdy frame under the board, to which you can screw the MDF, but this is not the case with the Mobile Workbench. Some parts like the sliding carriage are not even screwed, so it is better to use a more stable board that is not affected as much by humidity, like plywood boards.

Jacob80

Post by Jacob80 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:16 pm

Thanks again Suso, I ordered 18mm Okoumé with 2 sheets of HPL to glue onto it (should be a nice challenge to get that on flat :D )

Jacob80

Post by Jacob80 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:44 pm

Dear all,

has anybody managed to find a place to mount a decent carpenters vice onto the workbench?

The only stationary work surface is the routing table, but the router will clash with the vice spindles protruding under the work surface. Only way I see this work is move the router left (towards the saw) but that will limit the max movement of the router fence.
Alternative would be in front of the sliding table left of the saw, and keep the vice 20mm below the sliding work surface of the table, but I don't know if that will work. Clamping hard would damage the sliding table stop I think.

I'm considering ditching the sliding table altogether because of this and only use a miter sled.

If any of you have some insights I would really appreciate them :)

BodieM

Post by BodieM » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:50 pm

freakazoid wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:07 am

I have the 7485, too.
1) How did you proceed?
2) Is it possible to convert the plan? Do I have to choose the 7485 as option, before buying the plans?

Thanks for any feedback
Sorry for the delay! I ended up buying the bigger saw. I’m actually pretty glad I upgraded, but I probably would not have if I hadn’t already built the table frame to size for the larger table. I might have looked elsewhere for plans or ideas for the smaller saw if I had known, because i didn’t want to do all the work converting these plans to a smaller size. It might not be too much work but I’m not great at autocad software. Hope you ended up figuring things out!

piotr_w

Post by piotr_w » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:49 pm

Hi Suso,

I'm trying to build the fence according to the project specifications. I noticed you specified using a 60mm x 40mm x 4mm unequal L-shape aluminum profile to support the fence. Unfortunately, I'm unable to find the exact profile dimensions anywhere in the UK. The closest sizes I can find are 63.5mm x 38.1mm x 3.2mm or 50.8mm x 38.1mm x 3.2mm. Could you please advise if either of these sizes would be suitable?

Many thanks,
Piotr

Suso

Post by Suso » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:53 pm

hi Piotr,
You will not have problems if you use the 50.8mm x 38.1mm x 3.2mm profile.

nboo

Post by nboo » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:13 pm

Can this be built with the Sawstop JSS?

JimParker256

Post by JimParker256 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:11 am

Muanis wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:12 pm
Thanks! This was helpful!

I converted the entire cut list and sketchup to imperial (I'm from Brazil and live in US, so it is with pain that I did it, metric is a lot better).

Also adjusted it to have 6ft and to fit the SawStop. Happy to share the plans and the cut list csv for any folks building this in US.

As I was doing it, I adjusted a bunch of measures also to be less fractional, so for instance the pillars you did with 80mm I converted to 3 inches and not 3 5/32 and so on.

I also adjusted all the plywood to 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4. While at it, I noticed piece 36 is 1/2 inch (15mm) and not 3/4 (18mm). any reason for not using the same thickness as the other ones?
I would love to see tha plans and cultist in Imperial measurements for the SawStop, since I'm trying to build for exactly that saw. I purchased the original plans, and am slogging through documenting the changes (in mm) for the SawStop CTS, but it's a mind-bender, for sure! (I'm an absolute NOOB at SketchUp...)