Using a different bench table saw?

Discuss topics related to the Mobile Workbench
dmg

Using a different bench table saw?

Post by dmg » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:25 am

Dear Suso,

how difficult do you think it would be to adapt the plans to a different table saw? I have a Bosch 4100 and it has a very different base profile and size than the Dewalt that you used.

thank you,

Suso

Re: Using a different bench table saw?

Post by Suso » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:37 am

hi mate,

It's possible to install other bench table saws in this workbench. How hard it will be depends on how different the new table saw is and how experienced you are in woodworking. Here you'll find a new article in my blog explaining this topic.

dmg

Post by dmg » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:49 am

thank you for your reply.

The main reason for my question is that I am worried that it might be difficult to adapt the plans you sell to another table saw, and that the length of many parts would have to be adjusted by hand.

I have studied your design and there are some small differences that would need to be made, nothing major. I think the basic design would remain the same. The length, height and width of the space for the table saw would have to be adjusted. Also, the bottom of the left hand side of the table saw protrudes more than the top, so that will have to be taken into consideration when doing the top slider.

I don't have experience with sketchup and I don't know how easy it would be to make that adaptation. Do you have any insights on this?

Suso

Post by Suso » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:46 am

hi again!

It is not easy to modify the design in SketchUp if you do not have experience using the program. Anyway, it is easy to vary the size of the affected pieces with the cutting list in hand.

Suso

Post by Suso » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:01 pm

hi mate,
Here you'll find a new article in my blog explaining this topic.

dhuffman117

Post by dhuffman117 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:18 pm

I have the DWE7491 which is quite similar to the DWE7492. Would I need to make adjustments to the overall size of the space for the table saw? I know that the surface space is larger on the 7491 so I will need to make adjustments for that. I'm just wondering if anyone has made this table in the past with this particular saw.

bukrogers

Post by bukrogers » Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:32 pm

Hi !

I am preparing to get your design and build this mobile workbench, however, I am concerned about a table saw breaking down needing replacing and there being no standards for table saw dimensions. How difficult would it be to adjust the plans to make the middle wider for a wider range of table saws and make the top flush to the saw so that in the event of a dead table saw / replacement you would only need to possibly replace the top ?

I only ask because I had built myself a workbench put in the saw only to have it die many years later and now it seems that nothing fits in my old workbench anymore.

Thanks,

Brian

Muanis

Post by Muanis » Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:29 am

I bought the plans today and I’m looking to adapt them to a Sawstop Portable. Has anyone did this and has an idea of the changes?

So far I took some measurements of some aspects of the Sawstop, would love if someone who has the original DWE 7492-QS (maybe @Suso?) could take the same measurements. Trying to understand by how much I need to reduce the dimensions.

This is the height from the floor, in Sawstop it is 14 2/8”

This is the space between the rails of the fence it is 23 3/8”

Suso

Post by Suso » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:12 am

hi Muanis,

You will need to lower the two crossbars where the saw rests, 1'' (25mm) should be enough. In this article I indicate the necessary steps.

You will not have problems with the space between the rails.

You have not shared how wide your saw is. If it is 680mm or less, the solution is to make the router worktable a little bigger to cover the gap, as I did here.

Muanis

Post by Muanis » Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:28 pm

This is what I could find online:

Dewalt 7492-QS Saw
Metric: 330mm H x 650mm W x 680mm D
Imperial: 13” H x 25 5/8” W x 26 3/4“ D

Sawstop Portable
Imperial: 14 1/4” H x 23 1/2” W x 27” D
Table Dimensions: 23” W x 22 5/8” D

The depth of the table itself with the lower part is 23 4/8) and there's still the accessories box where things are stored on the back that sticks out another half to 1 inch.

So from these, I need to lower the two support crossbars by 1 1/4"

It is also narrower by 2 1/8" which I'm not sure is that relevant.

The depth is only 1/4" which I wouldn't make changes, but this is using overall dimensions, I wonder how big the DeWalt table is.