How to install a cast iron saw on the Mobile Workbench

Discuss topics related to the Mobile Workbench
Suso

How to install a cast iron saw on the Mobile Workbench

Post by Suso » Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:06 pm

After a year using my new Mobile Workbench I’ve decided to swap the bench saw for one with a cast iron table and an induction motor. I just posted a new video on Youtube to show you how to make this modification. Full video:

Suso

Re: How to install a cast iron saw on the Mobile Workbench

Post by Suso » Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:27 pm

Another snippet of the latest video on my channel where you can see how I replace the Mobile Workbench table saw. I’ve used an iron L-shaped profile. It’s a rather heavy saw at 90 kg, with this system I believe I can distribute the weight of the saw more evenly in the central part of the bench.

Jacpdx

Post by Jacpdx » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:09 am

Hi,
I just purchased the plans for this work station and I want to do something similar but with a larger table saw. I have a Jet 10” table saw with cast iron wings. It probably weighs 250 lbs.

Do you think the bench as designed could support a saw of that weight or would you recommend reinforcing the framing some how?

Thanks,
John

Suso

Post by Suso » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:58 am

hi mate,
it's only slightly heavier than the saw I'm installing. If you follow the same steps you will have no problems.

Jacpdx

Post by Jacpdx » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:42 am

Thank you!

Suso

Post by Suso » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:51 pm

A small clip of the latest video I posted on my YouTube channel where you can see how I managed to install the aluminum profile of the fence in the Mobile Workbench. I had to extend it with a small piece of another profile that came with the bench saw.

Suso

Post by Suso » Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:25 pm

A short video where you can see how I modified the sliding carriage fence so that it can be used with the new table saw I installed on the Mobile Workbench.

Suso

Post by Suso » Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:47 pm

This is how I made the router table top be flush with the bench saw top. I used an iron L-shaped piece whose height I can adjust. At the same time, it allows me to hold the table saw on the Mobile Workbench. A simple but effective method.

Suso

Post by Suso » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:19 pm

Another improvement I've made to my new table saw has been to attach a strip of a board to the side of the fence. Any board will do, but it's best to use one with melamine or HPL on both sides for smoother sliding when cutting. I've also cut a piece of HPL to install on the front of the fence. With this infeed table, I'll have a bigger support surface when cutting pieces against the fence.

Suso

Post by Suso » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:35 pm

I've edited together this short video to showcase some of the new and existing functions of my Mobile Workbench after changing its bench saw a few months ago. I'm still very happy with this new cast iron table, but admittedly I do miss having a little more power.