Improvements to the original design

Discuss topics related to the Mobile Workbench
Suso

Re: Improvements to the original design

Post by Suso » Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:20 pm

This post has interesting information if you want to use the Incra TS-LS Table Saw Fence:

Djjvb

Re: DIY Mobile Workbench by Louis

Post by Djjvb » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:57 pm

Hi Suso,

I've bought your plans yesterday. So this is my first question (probably of more to come ;-)).

In your video's you mentioned that you thought about lineair bearings (like Louis has made). But you said that you eventually did not do it. Why? What is the benefit of the solution in the plans compared to the lineair bearings?

And have you considered miter bar sliders for the sliding carriage and / or the crosscut sled? I've never used these, but have such a bar attached to my miter gauge. With the stops of these bars, the sliding carriage won't be able to tilt our of the miter slot. So maybe in that way it could be possible to not have to make the drawer where it rests on?

Would like to hear what's your opion!

Suso

Post by Suso » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:01 pm

hi Djjvb,
for the carriage’s linear motion I thought about using linear bearings, but since I wanted a robust benchtop to work on, not just for cutting, in the end I decided to use aluminum miter channels. If you have another workbench to work on or are not going to be working hard on the carriage, you can use linear bearings.

Using miter bar sliders is a good idea, but wooden sliders like the ones I've used work fine too.

mengrie

Post by mengrie » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:15 pm

Hi, where can I find the reference to the adhesive teflon tape used to improve sliding?

Suso

Post by Suso » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:37 am

mengrie wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:15 pm
Hi, where can I find the reference to the adhesive teflon tape used to improve sliding?
hi, I bought it in Spain, where are you from?

jvdheuvel

Post by jvdheuvel » Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:11 pm

Suso wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:37 am
mengrie wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:15 pm
hi, I bought it in Spain, where are you from?
you can buy this tape from AliExpress as well...
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/40003375 ... 79d2KAuBCj

mengrie

Post by mengrie » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:15 pm

Found it on Alizxpress. Thx!.

Suso

Post by Suso » Fri May 13, 2022 1:27 pm

This is the problem with using nails in woodworking. My plunge saw blade has touched one of the iron nails I used to join the frame parts together. It's not going to damage the blade too badly; these are 0.8mm thick nails placed with a nail gun. It could be dangerous, however, if a piece of metal flies off and hits you in the face. Be careful when using nails in your projects.

sadie110

Post by sadie110 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:07 am

Great post! It's interesting to see the improvements you've made to the mobile bench with a table saw and router table. Adding a thin 0.5mm metal plate with epoxy to lock the sliding carriage extension fence is a smart idea. It's a practical solution that prevents damage to the steel pipe while tightening the screw. Thanks for sharing your innovative approach to enhance the design!