Improvements to the original design

Discuss topics related to the Mobile Workbench
Suso

Improvements to the original design

Post by Suso » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:46 pm

In this post I will be publishing all the improvements that I have made to the original design of the mobile bench with table saw and router table

I've glued a thin 0.5mm metal plate with epoxy on the part where the screw comes out in order to lock the sliding carriage extension fence. This way I won't damage the steel pipe when tightening the screw:

Suso

Re: Improvements to the original design

Post by Suso » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:25 pm

I have also installed two more wheels in the center of each frame.

Suso

Post by Suso » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:54 pm

Be careful with the expansion of the board you're going to use as benchtop due to moisture. If you use boards that are very susceptible to changing size, such as MDF, you will need to make the holes for the screws holding the top to the cabinet a little bigger, and avoid tightening them too much to allow for wood movement.

If you use plywood, you won't have that problem.

If you use the same method I followed, screwing the two boards together for added thickness you won't have any problems as long as they're the same kind of board and keeping in mind what I explained above.

If they're two different types and behave differently when exposed to moisture, you may have problems getting smooth, straight worktops. In my case, both the plywood and this MDF-like board barely change size in response to moisture and I haven't had any problems. If it was normal MDF, I'm sure there would have been

Suso

Post by Suso » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:40 pm

Making the folding table I found a small mistake in the original plans. As you can see in the photo, it is necessary to make the same curved cut on the back of this piece in order to open the folding table.

Suso

Post by Suso » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:29 pm

Here's a clip from the video I posted yesterday on my YouTube channel. After installing the sliding carriage, I've been thinking how I could make it slide more smoothly. In the end, I decided to use teflon adhesive tape, one of the materials with the lowest coefficients of friction. The result couldn't be better. And neither could the sound it makes as it slides!

Suso

Post by Suso » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:09 pm

Some interesting modifications made by Dan Cobley on the Mobile Workbench with Table Saw.

He has installed a different lock for the sliding carriage and for the extendable fence of the carriage itself. He has also made a recess in the lower part of the carriage to be able to bring the fence of the bench table saw closer to the blade.

Suso

Post by Suso » Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:28 am

Here's another idea to solve the problem with the saw fence and the sliding carriage. In this case the user has cut the back of the carriage:

Suso

Post by Suso » Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:09 pm

If you use nails to assemble the frames, try to place them like I do in the video. You must place them close to the edges of the rails and legs, not in the middle. This is important to avoid them getting in the way in machining processes such as drilling holes or cutting rabbets.

In this photo you can see the problem!

Here you can see nails placed almost to the center, this is what you should avoid.

Suso

Post by Suso » Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:01 am

If you are interested in seeing other options to make the sliding carriage, here is a good example. Louis has used linear bearings:

Suso

Post by Suso » Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:24 pm

Fence stored under the outfeed folding table. Idea by Louis: