Materials for the top plates of the workbench

Discuss topics related to the Mobile Workbench
jvdheuvel

Materials for the top plates of the workbench

Post by jvdheuvel » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:00 pm

What is the thickness of the plywood you are mounting the top plate of the sliding carriage on?
Is that 9/12/15mm?

I'm planning to make all the top plates of a type of plywood that is normally used to make shuttering for pouring concrete.
This material is 18mm thick and I think it's similar to the laminated MDF you are using (only dark brown):

To make sure the top plates are strong enough and to have more wood beneath the T-tracks to be mounted and screwed into place without any problems, I want to use this extra layer of plywood as well under the top plates.

Suso

Re: Materials for the top plates of the workbench

Post by Suso » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:06 pm

It is 9mm. That plywood you show in the photo will be perfect for the top plates. It would be better to use one of about 20-25mm, but you can also do what you mention, screw another piece of about 9mm from the bottom.

Here I explain what things you should also keep in mind to use other materials.

jvdheuvel

Post by jvdheuvel » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:31 pm

I agree, 20 - 25mm would be better.... however, I still have a full sheet of this plywood available ;-)

So 9mm plywood underneath it it will be :D

menatarms

Post by menatarms » Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:11 pm

Hi, I was wondering what you thought about using a 6mm mild steel plate mounted to a 12mm plywood top via screws, with a suitable hole cut for a router insert, allowing the plywood to form a lip that the router plate/lift could be mounted to? I was considering having the plate fabricated locally as it's not too expensive.

Thanks.

Suso

Post by Suso » Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:15 am

hi menatarms,
sounds like a good idea, I'd like to see pictures if you finally try it