Sliding carriage gets in the way of the table saw fence

Discuss topics related to the Mobile Workbench
RobertB

Re: Sliding carriage gets in the way of the table saw fence

Post by RobertB » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:32 pm

Hi Suso, just bought the plans a couple of weeks ago for this fantastic workbench and I'm really exited to start with the project, though I need to adapt to my Dewalt DWE7485-QS. Trying to figure out the correct measures to reduce as it's a bit smaller that the 7492 model.

Now that I see this posts reg. the saw fence, I was wondering why the sliding carriage has to be wider (or deeper, depending how you see it :lol: ) than the rest of the workbench? is there any specific reason for that? could it work if it was same width as the workbench? or would that harm the functionality? that way the table fence would be able to slide to the left also!

Thanks for clearing out this point!
Robert

Suso

Post by Suso » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:04 am

hi RobertB,

I’ve designed the side folding table and sliding carriage with a little more depth than the workbench to leave them flush with the back folding table when closed. You can make it shorter, you will only lose a bit of depth of cut. At this point in the Youtube video I'm talking about this topic.

Jay jay

Post by Jay jay » Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:37 am

Hi Suso this is a fantastic designed piece of furniture, I am just working out how I will fit it into my garage then I will purchase plans. I believe a solution to this problem would be to either move the bolts for the fence which are located on the left hand side approximately 150mm to the right, so then when fence is touching blade only 35mm of the fence rails stick out past the saw table. A extra cursor could then be ordered from dewalt (or make your own) and positioned at the zero mark making fence and scale fully functioning again. Does anybody see an issue with this idea? Thanks

Suso

Post by Suso » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:23 am

hi Jay,
that idea could work, I would like to see photos if you finally carry it out!