Sliding carriage gets in the way of the table saw fence

Discuss topics related to the Mobile Workbench
jvdheuvel

Sliding carriage gets in the way of the table saw fence

Post by jvdheuvel » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:44 pm

When I was viewing the video of the saw sliging carriage again, I noticed the following:

At 5:30, you can see clearly that the "table saw track" at the back of the workbench (aluminum rails on which the fence is mounted) is sticking out further than the space that is has been created for the base plate with miter tracks to be inserted:

When everything is put together like this, the original tabel saw fence cannot be moved to the most left position anymore.
Of course you have the sliding carriage to use, however, I can think of situations you would like to just use the original table saw fence to make a quick cut or something.

In that case there should be a cut-out in the base plate (underneath the sliding carriage) to make sure the travel of the table saw fence is not limited by bumping into the base plate with miter tracks mounted.

Was this a decision you made to not being able to use the complete travel of the original table saw fence?

Suso

Re: Sliding carriage gets in the way of the table saw fence

Post by Suso » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:55 pm

The aluminum extension bar of the fence has another bolt that allows you to secure the fence and bring it close to the blade. It's right where you drew the circle in the photo.

You could make this cut-out you mentioned, but it would have to be also in the aluminum miter channel. It's one of the reasons why I'm going to make a new fence. I'll explain in detail in the last video in the series!

I’ve designed the side folding table and sliding carriage with a little more depth than the workbench to leave them flush with the back folding table when closed. You can make it shorter, you will only lose a bit of depth of cut. At this point in the Youtube video I'm talking about this topic.

jvdheuvel

Post by jvdheuvel » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:37 pm

I would need to check this with my tablesaw... if the fence can be mounted on thos bolts at the most left position and then placing the extension bars to the most right position and that works as well, then a cut-out will not be necessary indeed.... So far I just used these bolts to secure the fence up-side-down when I store the table saw :lol:

Of course I could always make a cut-out when I think it's necessary. Then at least the miter track on the right side will be cut into or perhaps just shortened.

I'm looking forward to each new video you post....
Can't wait to see the result of the new fence and ;)

marseyeah

Post by marseyeah » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:00 pm

indeed, if the last bolt is used, another problem arises, the measuring ruler no longer corresponds.
if we shorten the table and the slides is it really annoying? what do we lost, i would like to know what made you make this choice.
regards

Suso

Post by Suso » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:34 pm

hi marseyeah,
you're just going to lose a bit of cutting capacity, nothing too important.
In my case I have in mind to make a new fence, but if you want to use the Dewalt saw fence and avoid that problem, you can make the sliding carriage shorter.

Send me some photo of your project please!

Suso

Post by Suso » Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:11 pm

Some interesting modifications made by Dan Cobley. He has also made a recess in the lower part of the carriage to be able to bring the fence of the bench table saw closer to the blade.

Suso

Post by Suso » Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:27 am

Here's another idea to solve the problem with the saw fence and the sliding carriage. In this case the user has cut the back of the carriage:

JOHNW

Post by JOHNW » Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:48 pm

Hi Suso,
Further to our recent conversation on your blog, I really want to bottom out the discussion about simply mounting the fence on the left-most mounting points as the alternatives do not suit me.

On my new Dewalt DWE7491 (7492 not available in NZ) mounting the fence as you suggest, simply does not work. This is because the plastic cursor for the Dewalt measuring tape prevents the fence from being locked down, which means it is useless in terms of making accurate cuts. You can see this in the attached photo;

Comparing my Dewalt's cursor location with yours, from your videos, and I cannot see any difference so you must have the same issue, and yet in minute 14:24 of your video you clearly have the fence attached at this location.

I would dearly like to know how this was achieved please. It is not visible in the video but did you remove the plastic cursor? If you did then that would no be a solution that appeals to me as you then have to go through the setting up process every time you reinstall it. Thanks Suso

Suso

Post by Suso » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:38 am

hi JOHNW,

Sure enough my DWE7492-QS bench saw has the same problem, it is a design flaw.

In my case, I can lock the fence above the cursor, although it is slightly raised from the saw worktop due to the thickness of the cursor itself. In addition and as it is logical, I cannot use the cursor to position the fence, since it is below and hidden by the fence itself.

You have two options, make a cut in the sliding carriage as indicated in the previous answers to this post, or make a new fence.

JOHNW

Post by JOHNW » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:50 am

Thanks Suso. In my case the fence cannot be locked down, but removing the cursor is not an option. My situation is different from using your standard bench anyway (long story, which you may enjoy but it is not for this format), which makes the alternatives suggested unsuitable, so I am going to have to resolve it another way.

That's what architects do, right? I can see that I am going to wind up with something radically different from your design but your design resolution has at least given me a starting point. Thanks again. John