Cutting the L angle steel

Discuss topics related to the 3D Router & the X-Motion Portable Mortiser
Jambeaux

Post by Jambeaux » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:17 pm

Hello Suso,

In your video I notice that when you were cutting the L angle steel to the desired width you seemed to be using a different saw than the one you use to cut wood. Does cutting this steel require a special saw or special blade. Can one use an ordinary table saw with a carbide tipped blade" If so is there a specific teeth per inch you would recommend?

Thanks
Jambeaux

Suso

Post by Suso » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:18 am

In that video I'm cutting aluminum! but as you has read, it is better to use steel, because the aluminum is wears. Cut steel is very difficult in this way, I recommend you looking for a steel profile that already has the exact dimmension, or even a little less.

Another option would be to use aluminum and V Groove Bearing. You'd have to change a little the position of the holes, but it's easy. I will record a video making this modification to my 3D Router!

Jambeaux

Post by Jambeaux » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:21 am

Hello Suso,

Today I found some aluminum angle strips that were 3/4 inch (19.05mm) on both sides and 1/16 inch (.0625mm) in thickness. Will this work for the 3D router project especially using the V groove bearings? Will I have to cut it down as you did in your video? Also will it be OK to use imperial dimension plywood? I'm finding it is hard to get plywood in metric dimensions and what I have found costs much more than the plywood that has imperial dimensions.

I did buy a metric steel ruler and a metric tape measure. You have inspired me to broaden my horizons with regard to metric measurements.

Thanks,
Jambeaux

Suso

Post by Suso » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:26 am

hi again! where you from?
You can use the imperial dimensions plywood, if have similar or the same thickness. I guess the closest is to 3/4, you will have to modify a little some pieces, but it will be easy.

The aluminum profile also could serve using the V Groove bearings, although surely you can find one that don't need make cuts, it is quite common dimmension. If you're going to cut it, there are special disks, if you do not have one, use an old disk to cut laminated or melamine board, with a few revolutions and inching. Don't forget use glasses and glooves.

Jambeaux

Post by Jambeaux » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:09 pm

Hello Suso,

I live in Jacksonville, Florida. I have found and ordered some aluminum angle strips that were 1/2 inch (12.7mm) on both sides and 1/16 inch (.0625mm) in thickness. They sell them in 12 foot lengths so that made shipping them more complex and expensive. I suggested that they cut them into shorter lengths and they agreed to do it. I should have them soon. I found them at a company named Richelieu which was recommended in this forum.

I am not a highly skilled woodworker and I am using this project to reach a higher level of skill. I am more of a musician than I am a woodworker.

My city is next to the city of St Augustine (Spanish: San Agustín) which is a city in northeastern Florida. It is the oldest continuously occupied European-established settlement within the borders of the contiguous United States. It was founded on September 8, 1565, by Spanish admiral and Florida's first governor, Pedro Menéndez de Avilés.

Suso

Post by Suso » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:06 am

I already know the history of florida, a good place to live! I hope this project will serve you for reach a higher level of skill.
The aluminum profile seems ideal, I hope everything go well!