Dorel`s router

Discuss topics related to the 3D Router & the X-Motion Portable Mortiser
Panelli

Dorel`s router

Post by Panelli » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:04 pm

Hello Dorel
I will make a few comments but please rely on Suso's advice. He is the expert on this.
(Please forgive my over explanation of the process. With a language difference, I try to over explain.)

Regarding woodworking, and making good angle cuts for the rails. First you must be able to make very good RIP cuts on the table saw. (Rip is between the saw fence and saw blade.) Once you can make good, parallel cuts with the blade at 90 degree, the next step is a RIP with the blade at 45 degrees. To adjust to make the 45 degree cut is a careful measurement. You want to cut off 9 mm (half the thickness of the 18 mm wood). then turn the board over and cut the other edge. Presto, you have the angle.

Regrading the vee bearings and "T" profile metal, (or "L" profile on edge) this will make the build easier. The tracks will still need to be parallel to each other. How will you make adjustments?

I am, by choice, building my 3D Router on a very strict budget. (Just want to see how cheap I can build it.) I may make a second one after this learning experience. I must say, Suso's plans and design on this project are excellent. I truly enjoy working on it.
Kind regards
Nello

Woodchuck

Dorel`s router

Post by Woodchuck » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:14 pm

Hello again Nello,

I did not get to the part with the bearings and I will let you know. I suppose some washers will do the job. Also I`m considering a spring between bearing and plate. Screw-washer-bearing spring washer-wood. Also I will remain with V profile. It will ensure a better alignment . We will see. I will try .
I already proceed in the way you explain. Today I did not had time but tomorrow I will check the saw angle. For sure is not 45 degrees.

Nice to hear from you. Have a nice day .

Dorel

PS. VEE is too expensive.

Suso

Dorel`s router

Post by Suso » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:45 am

The movement on the xor Y axis is requesting quite a lot of precision. My proposal is to have the possibility to move the bearing assembly up and down or left and right depend on the axis. No more than 5 mm. That will correct the minor mistakes or misalignment
Nice idea, as you can see in the plans, you can make the holes marked bigger in one direction (2 or 3mm should be enough)
The M8 screw for X axis movement in my opinion is that is to small and the dimension and quality of the thread is not satisfactory. Also the normal nut is to small to ensure precision even fo 300 mm translation. for this reason I propose (and I am sure it a decent approach) to use a trapezoidal screw ant nut. There are several manufacturers. Avoid to use high precision for CNC. The price is very high . Normal class o precision will do the job.
It looks like a good idea, although the way I draw it in plans also works well.
Regarding the bearings my main problem is that I was not able to perform an exact V cut Maybe Suso can help me with some know how (thanks in advance). This is a problem if you don`t have a precision table saw or a router.
As you can see in the second 4:38 of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srq9sA9lfxM the best way is cut the parts using the dimenssions of the plans and using the fence you can make the 45º cut.
So I`m thinking if we will use the V bearing why not to use a T profile . The precision will be the same and it will be much easier to install . A lot of mistakes will be avoided and no headache.
I am not sure about how you want to do that, can you please show me a picture or a drawing?
Mr. Suso if possible I will appreciate a little help regarding the technique to make good V Cuts.
Show me the tools that you are going to use, sure I can help you.

Suso

Dorel`s router

Post by Suso » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:50 am

wrote:Hello Dorel
Regarding woodworking, and making good angle cuts for the rails. First you must be able to make very good RIP cuts on the table saw. (Rip is between the saw fence and saw blade.) Once you can make good, parallel cuts with the blade at 90 degree, the next step is a RIP with the blade at 45 degrees. To adjust to make the 45 degree cut is a careful measurement. You want to cut off 9 mm (half the thickness of the 18 mm wood). then turn the board over and cut the other edge. Presto, you have the angle.

I coldn't explain it better

wrote:Hello Dorel
I am, by choice, building my 3D Router on a very strict budget. (Just want to see how cheap I can build it.) I may make a second one after this learning experience. I must say, Suso's plans and design on this project are excellent. I truly enjoy working on it.

Thanks so much for those words!

Suso

Dorel`s router

Post by Suso » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:54 am

wrote:Hello again Nello,
I did not get to the part with the bearings and I will let you know. I suppose some washers will do the job. Also I`m considering a spring between bearing and plate. Screw-washer-bearing spring washer-wood. Also I will remain with V profile. It will ensure a better alignment . We will see. I will try

I am not sure what are you gonna do with that spring, please share a little drawing so I can understand.

Suso

Dorel`s router

Post by Suso » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:53 pm

I think something like this could work, but I don't know the quality and tilt they can have, here the link so someone want to try it:

http://www.vxb.com/608VV-V-Groove-Guide ... /608vv.htm

I know that there are 608 bearings much more cheaper, particularly on ebay but those bearings are of poor quality:

ebay bearings

Panelli

Dorel`s router

Post by Panelli » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:13 pm

Dorel
When using Spring washers, please consider axial motions in side to side load. When routing there will be side to side load on the X axis bearings. The amount of flex may not be critical, however please watch for it.
Nello

Woodchuck

Dorel`s router

Post by Woodchuck » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:02 am

Dear friends.

After a week working for other projects I resume Thursday the router making. I have already cut all the plywood parts and I start with Z axix. The main challenge for me was to make the V cuts. With help from you and patience I did it. I take the decision to use aluminum rails and V bearings.
The L profile I used is 10x10x1. Here the next size was 20x/20x1.5 and II prefer a 2 mm gap instead a bad cut . I do not have a fine working circular saw. That will be the next project. The result was amazing (at least for me. A deviation of .1 mm of the X axis is negligible. I sped a lot of time making accessories to do the job proper and fast . I was able to cut all the parts from a single sheet of plywood and was a shortage off materials the 700x25 rails . I made the 550x25 and a vertical and an horizontal piece at the end. Something like I---------===================. It strong enough. I will start today with the Z or Y axis. The bearings are to come in few days and I will give you further info. I will attach today pictures of the process .

Have a nice week full of joy.

Suso

Dorel`s router

Post by Suso » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:51 am

Good work! I am very happy that everything work ok. Please, keep sharing your progress

Woodchuck

Dorel`s router

Post by Woodchuck » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:03 am

Thanks Suso. Tomorrow I will have the bearings. I will tell here how is working with those. I need to modify a little bit the plans because the outer diameter in 16 mm and the shaft hole is 5. That should be not a problem as log is working .
Your drawings are very readable and also is a lot of " space " for some adjustments if needed.
This project is for me a way to prove myself that I`m still able to work accurate with not high precision tools, and I have the capacity to improvise and to make accessories and so on.

Have a nice day.

Dorel