Drawer slides for the axis?

Discuss topics related to the 3D Router & the X-Motion Portable Mortiser
Seth

Post by Seth » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:40 pm

Suso, thanks for such an amazing design and for creating these plans for us to purchase and use.

I was wondering if you've seen/thought about drawer slides being used? I would imagine they just aren't precise enough? Anyone else attempted them? I've seen them used for home made drill presses, but not for CNC/router use.

Thanks for any feedback or thoughts you may have on the matter.

Suso

Post by Suso » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:16 am

Hi Seth,

I don't know if they would have sufficient accuracy. Do you have any images so I can see them?

Woodchuck

Post by Woodchuck » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:44 am

wrote:Suso, thanks for such an amazing design and for creating these plans for us to purchase and use.

I was wondering if you've seen/thought about drawer slides being used? I would imagine they just aren't precise enough? Anyone else attempted them? I've seen them used for home made drill presses, but not for CNC/router use.

Thanks for any feedback or thoughts you may have on the matter.

Dear Seth,

I was playing with this idea but from the start based on my experience this will never work beside the accuracy you should think very carefully of the vibrations that will appear during milling process. The ideal choice will be to use CNC sliding systems but those are very expensive. At least 100 EURO/m.
The solution proposed in the plans is the best you can use for now.

Best regards,
Dorel