Ask me about Homemade Router and Saw Table.

Discuss topics related to the Router & Saw Table
Suso

Post by Suso » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:49 am

wrote:Hey,

I just found you Page today, I'm seoursly impressed!
I started working with wood this year, have a pretty good geared garage ( tools )

But this Saw Table would be a perfect tool for it.

I've some questions before.
- What would you think is the total cost of the material I need ? +/-
- are their special tools important to have ?
- Is it possible to do it for a beginner? I dont want to buy done stuff, even if I didnt planed this one by myself but somewhere
I built it by myself.

Welcome Klaus

Greetings from Germany
Klaus

Welcome Klaus!

take a look at this post, you will find more information!

you will need woodworking experience to do this project...in these cases I recommend go to a carpentry store with the cutting list including in the plans.
They will cut all the pieces and you just have to assemble it!

Azurik

Post by Azurik » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:30 am

Oh thank you very much I should have use the search function

Wayne6

Post by Wayne6 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:04 am

Hi,

love the work you've done on the workbench.

I was in the process of building a workbench and wanted to incorporate your designs into it. There are some differences though, the main one being that mine cannot be stand alone, it needs to fold out from a wall. This obviously neccessitates some design changes:

1) your saw and router attachments need to be done in a way such that I can either fold them up and attach them to the underside of the table or easily remove/attach them when I want to use them

2) I will need foldable legs that come down in a way that makes the table very sturdy without any rockiness

3) my dimensions need to be slightly different. Rather than 1000*1260, mine will be 1400*1000. The 1000 will be the width of the table (out from the wall) which means i will need to reduce the width of at least one of your table sections to match.

I was wondering if you would have any comment on the above issues. Namely suggestions on how best to do 1) and 2) if you have thoughts, and whether or not you foresee any issues in changing the dimensions of the tabletop somewhat (and things that I should be aware or careful of when doing so).

Many thanks for any advice. Fantastic work with what you've put together.

thanks,
Wayne

Suso

Post by Suso » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:35 am

hi Wayne, nice to meet you

1- as you can see in my table saw, you can remove the router very easy loosen up one screw and the circular saw can remove in similar way.

2- you must use adjustable and strong legs!

3-You have to reduce the right side, not the circular saw or router part, and so you will not have problems.

Wayne6

Post by Wayne6 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:39 am

Thank you very much for your reply.

I've been doing some work in sketchup (first time using it) and wanted to ask a few more questions:

1. Given I want to use this bench as my main workbench (I have very limited space so I'm trying to combine your ideas into a main work bench) I was originally going to make the bench thick and heavy to withstand lots of banging, etc, etc. As such I was going to use 2*2.5cm Hard-Ply wood (Marine Ply). I was going to glue and screw the two pieces together to make a thick table.

Do you think the extra thickness is neccessary, or in your experience would 2.5cm be thick enough?

2. I was looking to add 1 or 2 wooden vices to the design. (see the attached pictures for an illustration, these came from an instructable design i looked at). Do you see any issues in adding one to the front left and either right hand or left hand side of my design? I want to be able to use your horizontal router, etc but thought that having access to put it on the front (near the vertical router) and at one end (where the slides are) would be sufficient. Again would appreciate your comments.

3. I was going to drill holes through the top at various points to support the use of holdfasts and benchdogs in future. I can't see any way in which these would get in the way of your table functions but wanted to double check.

Thanks again for the great work and assistance.

Wayne

wrote:hi Wayne, nice to meet you

1- as you can see in my table saw, you can remove the router very easy loosen up one screw and the circular saw can remove in similar way.

2- you must use adjustable and strong legs!

3-You have to reduce the right side, not the circular saw or router part, and so you will not have problems.

Suso

Post by Suso » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:14 am

hi Wayne,

1- Depends on the type of work you do, if you are going to hit and put a lot of weight on the workbench, better stick two boards (2*2.5cm) you'll have to change the design a bit...
You could also have a second lid to position over the table saw when you are going to use it as workbenchs! so you would not damage the table saw lid and you would have more thickness and stability.

2- I suppose you could install the wooden vise on one side and use the horizontal router on the opposite side....

3- You will not have problems to realize some holes...

by the way, when making and modifying your table saw, keep in mind that at some point you will need to move the table saw away from the wall to cut long pieces!

regards,
Suso

Wayne6

Post by Wayne6 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:08 pm

Thanks!

That's an interesting idea, putting the 2nd layer as a lid. I might work on that concept some more!!

RotingBaconAFC

Post by RotingBaconAFC » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:24 am

Hi there, great web site and I have just bought the Router & Saw Table Plans but have a couple of questions:.

1.Are there any step by step construction or assembly instructions? My apologies if they are in the download but it's not obvious where they are located or if they are included. For example, I have also just bought the Matika 5903R so to make my first cuts, as I have no bench or saw table, do I mark out on the ground using clamps and straight edges? Then which items do I assemble first? Is there a video of the assembly process?

2.I cannot locate any 20mm thick melamine, 21mm seems to be the closest, is this acceptable? Can anyone recommend a UK stockist?

Many thanks

Simon

Suso

Post by Suso » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:37 pm

hi Simon,
that was my first project and I could not make videos of the construction. I recommend you take a look at the article where you can see all the parts, also you can check it out the article of the Portable Workshop, the construction is similar.

In these cases I recommend going to a carpentry with the cutting list included in the plans, they will cut all the pieces and you will only have to assemble it, do not forget to tell them to mark all the pieces with their reference number.

The 21mm plywood board will be perfect for the lid!

RotingBaconAFC

Post by RotingBaconAFC » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:20 pm

Thanks Suso, I will give that a go, I'm sure I can work it out..

However, next problem, can't open the SketchUp instructions in the SketchUp download/application. The file is grey'd out in SketchUp not allowing it to be opened..

Ideas?

Best regards and happy new year..

Simon