Moving from small to large circular saw

Discuss topics related to the Router & Saw Table
Androo

Post by Androo » Fri May 19, 2017 10:33 am

Hi,
I just started DIY as a hobby and I am on a small budget. I would like to build your router & saw table, but I only have a small circular saw from Bosch with a 165mm maximum diameter.

Is it possible (easy?) to replace this small circular saw with a larger 235mm circular saw sometime later? The reason why I'm asking is because I'm worried about accuracy:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess the build-process is like this, no?
1) cut out the insert space for circular saw with a router
2) cut out the opening hole with a jigsaw
3) screw circular saw into place
4) cut the saw blade opening
5) place miter tracks PARALLEL to the saw blade
6) place table saw fence PARALLEL to the mitre tracks

So, if I want to upgrade from 165mm circular saw to 235mm sometime in the future:
Is it possible to put the new saw under the table whilst keeping it accurate and PARALLEL to the existing mitre tracks? (i.e. going reverse way from step 5 to step 1). Or would I loose accuracy?

Suso

Post by Suso » Fri May 19, 2017 2:38 pm

hi again Androo,
of course, you can start with your small circular saw and later on change it, the steps are also correct.
Here you can see how to do it with a plunge router and guides.
When you change the circular saw you must keep the saw blade in the same position and parallel with the T-tracks. You should not have problems!

Androo

Post by Androo » Fri May 19, 2017 2:47 pm

Hi Suso,

Thanks for your quick reply. I guess a new circular saw will also mean: a different size circular saw base plate. So I would of course have to drill new holes to attach it to the table. So, if I'm "off" by just one millimetre, things won't be parallel anymore. Or do you think this really is easy to do in an accurate way?
I saw the video with the router. But because the router rotates parallel to the table, it doesn't matter. Even if the router is put in 5mm "off". With the table saw, it's different: it rotates at a 90 degree angle to the table.... that's why I'm a little worried...

Suso

Post by Suso » Fri May 19, 2017 3:55 pm

In my first homemade saw table I made the insert space for circular saw in a Cnc, which was perfect and adjusted with the base of the circular. Still, loosening the screws I had a small gap with which I could adjust the saw blade.
So do not worry, you'll always be able to adjust a small offset...

severitycrown

Re: Moving from small to large circular saw

Post by severitycrown » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:52 pm

Suso wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 2:38 pm
hi again Androo,
of course, you can start with your small circular saw and then change it, the steps are also correct.
Here you can see how to do it with a plunge router and guides.
When you change the circular saw you must keep the saw blade in the same position and parallel with the existing mitre tracks. You should not have problems!
Hi, Suso. I'm also gonna follow your guide! :)

David Svennigsen

Re: Moving from small to large circular saw

Post by David Svennigsen » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:48 pm

It's good that you started DIY as a hobby. ofcourse you can use large circular saw from small circular saw. It means you are upgrading yourself. your points are right but be careful while using a large circular saw.