Instructions...

Discuss topics related to the Router & Saw Table
purdatron

Instructions...

Post by purdatron » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:41 pm

Hi,

I've got all my plywood cut, and I've assembled the cabinet base with wood screws. I also bought all the bolts and nuts etc (apart from the threaded inserts which I'm going to have to order online). However, in the downloaded plans I can't find the instructions for which bolts go where, or how exactly to mount the saw or router - are there detailed instructions for each part, telling me which fasteners to use? I have this big pile of bolts of different lengths and I don't know which gets used for what!

PaleForce

Instructions...

Post by PaleForce » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:58 pm

part of the fun , like a Chinese puzzle.

purdatron

Instructions...

Post by purdatron » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:41 am

...I had a nasty feeling that might be the response! Like IKEAx1000 haha
OK looks like I'm improvising then! I'll send photos when I'm done

PaleForce

Instructions...

Post by PaleForce » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:26 pm

i know that was not helpful, I put together a 3d router and just measured the bolts in sketch up.

PaleForce

Instructions...

Post by PaleForce » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:34 pm

for me I found 5/16 shoulder bolts(has a shoulder the full length with only 1" of thread at the end) to be the answer. ended up cutting the extra off flush with the nuts, when they where a bit long.

Suso

Instructions...

Post by Suso » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:13 am

Hi,

I know the plans of the table saw are not as clear as my last machines, because they were the first ones I did, but I think you got all that information in the pdf's too. Anyway you can ask here all you don't understand, I'll try to answer as fast as I can.

purdatron

Instructions...

Post by purdatron » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:23 am

Hi!

So I've made the table. Works like a dream, and everything is straight and square - I couldn't be happier! I used it yesterday to cut some 1mm thick pieces to laminate into curvy wood. I also installed a jigsaw with a guide on the right hand side so it does all three things...

Two questions:

How do you keep your inserts down? Mine is made from 5mm hardboard, and currently held down with hot glue. There is only 5mm or so of ply left beneath it. Do you use tiny wood screws?

And what varnish would you use if you didn't have the pre-finished ply? I used a satin finish exterior varnish, which looks good but after three or four coats (fully dry!) it feels a little bit sticky like plastic, and wood doesn't actually slide all that well on it.

I'll take a couple of photos to show you today.

Thanks
Martin

Suso

Instructions...

Post by Suso » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:43 am

Hi,

i don't understand the first question. What inserts are you talking about?

About the second, you have to sand it with a course sandpaper, apply a second coat and sand it again with a fine sandpaper.

Hope to see that pics soon!

purdatron

Instructions...

Post by purdatron » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:17 am

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I mean the zero-clearance insert for the table saw. The thin piece of wood (or in my case hardboard) that sits flush with the table, through which the saw blade protrudes. I have temporarily attached mine using hot-melt glue, but that has some thickness so it's not ideal, and also it's not so easy to change it for different blade angles, thicknesses of blade etc.
Anyway I see that on your table there are tiny screw-heads, but are they wood-screws? or bolts? I have no space to add a nut underneath on the left of the blade so I think I would have to use screws, but I'm concerned that would not last long.
As for the sanding, I sanded with 280 grit between coats and 400 grit after the final coat, all by hand. Too fine? After the first coat and sanding it felt super smooth, but now it feels kind of like plastic...

Suso

Instructions...

Post by Suso » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:40 pm

wrote:
Anyway I see that on your table there are tiny screw-heads, but are they wood-screws? or bolts? I have no space to add a nut underneath on the left of the blade so I think I would have to use screws, but I'm concerned that would not last long.

Ok, now I understand. I am using 3x10mm wood screws. In my last machines, I am calling them "quick access covers" so if you watch the videos of the portable workshop, you can get more information here.

wrote:As for the sanding, I sanded with 280 grit between coats and 400 grit after the final coat, all by hand. Too fine? After the first coat and sanding it felt super smooth, but now it feels kind of like plastic...

This is kind of weird, the result should be better with the second coat. You can try car polish, I think it should get smoother.