Provide STP or IGS files?

SketchUp is a free 3D modeling program
Chri

Provide STP or IGS files?

Post by Chri » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:35 am

Hey,
since I dont use Sketchup but a mixture of other CAD Software, is it possible to provide your models in the universal file format STP or IGS after purchase of your plans?
Thanks and best regards,
Christian

Suso

Re: Provide STP or IGS files?

Post by Suso » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:56 am

hello Chri,

I don't have plans in those formats, but here you can download a free version of Sketchup.
Usually, all the Cad programs let import autocad files, which are also included in the plans. Have you checked if your program allows it?

Chri

Post by Chri » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:34 am

Hey!

Thanks for the quick reply!
I agree with you the DXF incorporated in your plans is a quite universal format which I can actually read, drawback is, it's only in 2D. Considering you've made such a great effort to create 3D models so the "downgrade" to 2D seems like a waste of possibilities.

But no worries, I'll try to get a kind of conversion on my own, just learned there seems to be a lot of plugins and third party solutions which might lead to a 3D model which I can read.

I've just been curious whether you have the possibility to export natively with sketchup since this might save quite some time for me.

Cheers and best regards,
Christian

Suso

Post by Suso » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:16 pm

The plans also include a 3D model of Dwg extension(autocad), many programs can also import these files. Have you tried?

Chri

Post by Chri » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:22 pm

I've seen that there is a DWG included and assumed it's in 2D. But I was very happy to see that it is actually in 3D, didn't know that is possible in this foamat, you're never too old to learn :D
So VERY good news is that I was able to convert the DWG via Fusion 360 into STEP format, meaning I'm pretty confident I can use this any further!
I'll report tomorrow whether it worked at my office computer 8-)

Chri

Post by Chri » Wed May 01, 2019 10:18 am

Quick feedback, everything workes as I hoped!

Big THX for your support!

Regards,
Christian

selfcad

Post by selfcad » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:03 pm

A 3D model with the Dwg extension (for AutoCAD) is also included in the plans; various programmes may import these files. You tried, right?

draw 3d